Re: Link to free css SIMPLE templates!?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tim W, Mar 4, 2012.

  1. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 04/03/2012 11:54, Mr Bean wrote:
    > On 4/03/2012 10:23 AM, Mr Bean wrote:
    >> [snipp'd]

    > Accidentally I have found what I was looking for....
    >
    > http://www.code-sucks.com
    >
    > Many layouts and the rest of css I can do myself.
    >
    > ;)
    >
    > Cheers...

    Looked at http://www.code-sucks.com/css layouts/faux-css-layouts/

    I am not really understanding what is 'faux' about his layouts, and
    clearly there is something so clever that it merits a French word, but
    whatever the trompe l'oeil is I can't even see it. Can someone explain?

    Tim W

    Tim W, Mar 4, 2012

  2. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 04/03/2012 20:46, dorayme wrote:
> [...]
    >
    >> Looked at http://www.code-sucks.com/css layouts/faux-css-layouts/
    >>
    >> I am not really understanding what is 'faux' about his layouts, and
    >> clearly there is something so clever that it merits a French word, but
    >> whatever the trompe l'oeil is I can't even see it. Can someone explain?

    > The faux of it is in reference to the appearance of columns by use of
    > background images. If you have a page like this:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    > <head>
    > <title>A web page ready for almost anything</title>
    > </head>
    >
    > it just appears blank in your browser. However if you add this css:
    >
    > body {background: white url(plainNonWhiteColourImage200pxWide.png)
    > repeat-y}
    >
    > it makes a coloured stripe on the left that can look like a tidy left
    > column. When you look at clouds you can pretend that certain animals
    > or familiar figures are there, but they are not really there.
    >
    > At this stage, it is quite faux, yes. Obviously French too, no other
    > nation would be so minimilist, the French have a rich history of
    > philosophical thought about next to nothing, some of it being very
    > deep*. Their word "faux" is a lighter word than anything English has,
    > it is playful, less morally judgemental than "false" or "pretend".
    >
    > It not *really* a column at this stage because if we slapped in a
    > paragraph of text that went on and on like for example this from Jean
    > Paul Sartre:
    >
    > Atheistic existentialism...states that if God
    > does not exist, there is at least one being
    > in whom existence precedes essence, a being
    > who exists before he can be defined by any
    > concept and that this being is man, or, as
    > Heidegger says, human reality. What is meant
    > here by saying that existence precedes
    > essence? It means that, first of all, man
    > exists, turns up, appears on the scene, and,
    > only afterwards, defines himself. -
    > Existentialism and Humanism
    >
    > the type would simply extend across the whole of the page, respecting
    > not a bit of the coloured stripe. It is just a stripe, a mere
    > affectation, a nuisance really at this stage, in fact it stands out as
    > a fraud, to use a loaded English term. It is a fraud because it has no
    > real power, it is not a real column. If you put the above text in an
    > HTML table cell, it would stay put.
    >
    > Now, suppose we add to the above CSS
    >
    > p {margin-left: 200px; padding: .2em;}
    >
    > This preserves the appearance of columns. And if we go on and on
    > CSSing and HTMLing and contenting so that the things we want with the
    > coloured bg stay in that area and the things we want with the white bg
    > stay in that area, we have made a more elaborate appearance, and then
    > the idea of if 'it looks like a duck and tastes like a duck' then it
    > 'is a duck' comes into play and it is less and less fauxy and that is
    > perhaps part of your puzzlement as to why it is called "faux".
    >
    > The name sticks because of the history of the technique and its bare

    I see. So the text and the background are not different facets of the
    same block level thing they have just been carefully put in the same
    place so that they look like they are. How very cunning and subtle.
    Does such sophistry have a purpose?

    I like your joke btw. I went down the pub and told it to my mates in the
    public bar I liked it so much. They didn't think it was great though,
    they prefer jokes about body parts and farting and things.

    Tim w

    Tim W, Mar 5, 2012

  3. Tim W

    Tim W Guest

    On 05/03/2012 14:11, Tim W wrote:
> [...]

    >> the idea of if 'it looks like a duck and tastes like a duck' then it
    >> 'is a duck' comes into play and it is less and less fauxy and that is
    >> perhaps part of your puzzlement as to why it is called "faux".
    >>
    >> The name sticks because of the history of the technique and its bare
    >> essentials.
    >>
    >> -----------------
    >> *<http://dorayme.netweaver.com.au/jokes/beingAndNothingness.html>
    >>

    > I see. So the text and the background are not different facets of the
    > same block level thing they have just been carefully put in the same
    > place so that they look like they are. How very cunning and subtle.
    > Does such sophistry have a purpose?
    >
    > I like your joke btw. I went down the pub and told it to my mates in
    > the public bar I liked it so much. They didn't think it was great
    > though, they prefer jokes about body parts and farting and things.

    Actually don't bother answering that - I found out why the faux thing is
    used:
    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fauxcolumns/

    Thanks,

    Tim w