Re: Linking to graphics and stylesheet on a separate site - IE7 blockingcookies and saying "No priva

Discussion in 'HTML' started by John Hosking, Jan 26, 2009.

  1. John Hosking

    John Hosking Guest

    XyZed wrote:
    > Hello. I have several sites on different domains and I want them all
    > to use the same stylesheet. I also want to use some images from the
    > main site on some of the other. The reason is just to avoid
    > duplication.
    >
    > However, I've noticed that when doing so, IE7 shows the privacy icon
    > which when clicked says its blocked some cookies. It then lists my
    > stylesheet and the graphics that are hosted on the main domain. When
    > clicking "summary" on any one of them IE reports it can't find a
    > privacy policy for it.
    >
    > I would appreciate advice on the following. Is this bad practice?
    > Should I have the same stylesheet on every domain? If it is perfectly
    > reasonable to use only one stylesheet for all several sites how can I
    > get IE7 to find a privacy policy so it doesn't complain and report an
    > issue (I've no idea what the cookies it mentions are)?

    I'm clueless as regards privacy policy (I can't explain IE7, either),
    but I'm wondering if you couldn't solve the problem by adjusting the
    server where the common stylesheet and images are. Are you trying to set
    a cookie for these items? If so, why?

    (My default setting in my browsers is to ask me about cookies, and I
    therefore see that (1) a lot of sites try to set cookies when they're
    not necessary and (2) some sites are configures to set cookies for every
    single file, i.e., an HTML file with 20 images will prompt me 21 times
    about accepting the cookies. I think ASP does this by default, but I'm
    not sure. Maybe you're doing this too?)

    HTH

    --
    John
    Possessive "its" has no apostrophe. Even on the Internet.
    John Hosking, Jan 26, 2009