Re: Links and target

Discussion in 'HTML' started by data64, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. data64

    data64 Guest

    On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 21:32:12 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Quoth the raven named Maik Riechert:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> I hope you can help me:
    >> I have a main site(without frames) and there's a link
    >> where a popup opens. In that popup is a link that
    >> should open in the main site.
    >> Is that possible without frames? Javascript maybe?

    > Let's understand what you are doing.
    > Visitor goes to your URL. [ http://www.example.com/ ]
    > Clicks link that opens a popup window.
    > Window has a link to your URL. [ http://www.example.com/ ]
    >
    > Why would you even want to do that? It likely will not work in my
    > browser which refuses popup windows.

    I am also looking for something like this. In our case this is for some
    online product manuals. The popup will be for an index page. Clicking on a
    link in the index should select the relevant page from the product manual.

    I would rather have this than the frame-based version our docs team came up
    with.

    data64
    data64, Apr 3, 2004

  2. data64

    KirstyH Guest

    data64 wrote:

    > I am also looking for something like this. In our case this is for some
    > online product manuals. The popup will be for an index page. Clicking on a
    > link in the index should select the relevant page from the product manual.
    >
    > I would rather have this than the frame-based version our docs team came up
    > with.

    My browser is configured to sliently refuse all popups. If a link
    doesn't appear to work because it opens a popup which is refused (I very
    rarely notice the "popup supressed" icon) then I leave the site and your
    company would lose my business.

    The question you must ALWAYS ask yourself when designing an interactive
    system is not "what method of interaction do *I* prefer" but "what
    method does *the user* prefer?" I think you will find many more people
    who hate popups than hate frames.

    Another question to consider when designing an interface is to do with
    consistancy of interaction. How many applications where a user selects
    something that loads a "page" can you name which use a method like you
    have described with popups? (off the top of my head the only analogy I
    can think of is opening a file in an application) And how many use an
    index at the side of a window displaying the page (think Windows help
    files, PDF bookmarks in Acrobat Reader, the "favourites" sidebar in IE).

    Kirsty
    KirstyH, Apr 3, 2004

  3. data64

    Rob McAninch Guest

    KirstyH <news:c4n07a$2jav6o$-berlin.de>:

    > data64 wrote:
    >> I am also looking for something
    >> like this. In our case this is for some online product
    >> manuals. The popup will be for an index page.

    Basically you want to open a popup and then have the popup open a
    link in its parent window? You did notice:

    There's some javascript that may do what you want.

    >> I would rather have this than the frame-based version our
    >> docs team came up with.

    Sometimes frames are easier to deal with. In your case, that is
    if you want to keep the "index window" open for further use, the
    frames make more sense to me and are a more comfortable user
    interface. A popup can get hidden or accidentally closed, so you
    would need a link to reopen the index on every subpage - or
    perhaps scripts to check for its presence and reopen if necessary
    (likely to get blocked as an unrequested popup).

    > My browser is configured to sliently refuse all popups.

    Hm, I have mine set to block unrequested popups only. Seems like
    blocking all popups would break too many sites. E.g. help or
    glossary style links often use a popup that is nicer than a whole
    new page. I have a little poll on my site (
    http://rock13.com/austin/ ) that uses a popup to display results
    and submitting the form allows the 'requested' popup in this
    case.

    --
    Rob - http://rock13.com/
    Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/