Re: Links without the underlines

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Adrienne, Jul 16, 2003.

  1. Adrienne

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed ocrap (GinaeBM)
    writing in news::

    > Hello all!
    > I (think) that I've asked this before....but, I sometimes...forget
    > things...even when I write them down and sometimes can't retrieve them...
    >
    > How are links without the underlines done?
    >
    > I REALLY think that this could pep up my design...
    >
    > Thanks to all!
    > Ginae
    > http://www.theinternetcompanion.net

    First remember that underlining is how most people recognize a link.
    Without the underlining, they may be confused.

    But, if you really want to know:

    text-decoration: none

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Adrienne

    Tim Guest

    Adrienne <> on Wed, 16 Jul 2003:

    > First remember that underlining is how most people recognize a link.
    > Without the underlining, they may be confused.

    How else can colourblind people recognize links?
    I guess the original poster has not thought of that.

    Tim
    Tim, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Adrienne

    rf Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Adrienne <> on Wed, 16 Jul 2003:
    >
    > > First remember that underlining is how most people recognize a link.
    > > Without the underlining, they may be confused.

    > How else can colourblind people recognize links?
    > I guess the original poster has not thought of that.

    Sometimes the context implies a link. A nav bar, for example, across the top
    of the page or down the left/right, including words like "home" "contact us"
    "site map" etc, especially if these respond to moseover.

    You do however have a point. Within the text of a document colour alone
    should *never* be used to indicate a link. Underline is the acceptable
    visual clue.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Adrienne

    Rob McAninch Guest

    rf <news:miaRa.6876$>:

    > "Tim" <> wrote:
    >> Adrienne <> on Wed, 16 Jul 2003:
    >>
    >> > First remember that underlining is how most people
    >> > recognize a link. Without the underlining, they may be
    >> > confused.

    >> How else can colourblind people recognize links?

    > Sometimes the context implies a link. A nav bar, for example
    > [...]
    >
    > You do however have a point. Within the text of a document
    > colour alone should *never* be used to indicate a link.
    > Underline is the acceptable visual clue.

    Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I believe it is a reasonable
    expectation that someone who is color blind should have
    configured their browser to make links always underlined.

    That said, even when one is not color blind underlined blue links
    are still more noticeable as such.
    --
    Rob - http://rock13.com/
    Web Stuff: http://rock13.com/webhelp/
    Rob McAninch, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Adrienne

    rf Guest

    "Rob McAninch" <> wrote in message
    > rf <news:miaRa.6876$>:
    >
    > > "Tim" <> wrote:
    > >> Adrienne <> on Wed, 16 Jul 2003:

    > >> How else can colourblind people recognize links?

    > > Sometimes the context implies a link. A nav bar, for example
    > > [...]
    > >
    > > You do however have a point. Within the text of a document
    > > colour alone should *never* be used to indicate a link.
    > > Underline is the acceptable visual clue.

    > Perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I believe it is a reasonable
    > expectation that someone who is color blind should have
    > configured their browser to make links always underlined.

    Very true. However, colour blindness does not always equate with the
    ability/knowledge as to properly configure a browser.

    A side issue: Why *make* your viewer exercise her accessibility options just
    to view your site? Why not just make it easy for her, just like your
    competitors site does?

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Adrienne

    GinaeBM Guest

    GinaeBM, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Adrienne

    Sid Ismail Guest

    Sid Ismail, Jul 16, 2003
  8. Adrienne

    Mark Parnell Guest

    GinaeBM wrote:
    > And *you* could learn to spell, while we're busy pointing out the
    > faults of others.

    Who could?

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Jul 17, 2003
  9. Adrienne

    PeterMcC Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:
    > GinaeBM wrote:
    >> And *you* could learn to spell, while we're busy pointing out the
    >> faults of others.

    > Who could?

    Anyone who's not busy with the people who are pointing out the faults of
    others - obvious, isn't it?
    :)

    --
    PeterMcC