Re: lint still useful?

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by user923005, Apr 11, 2008.

  1. user923005

    user923005 Guest

    On Apr 11, 5:27 am, "copx" <> wrote:
    > I saw one here posting the output of a lint tool in a thread, and that made
    > me wonder whether using such tools are still useful.

    They are still useful. I lint all of my work.

    > I mean, modern compilers are lint tools themselves, the list of warnings GCC
    > can produce is almost endless for example. I heard that lint was used in the
    > past mainly because C compilers provided only minimal sanity checks back
    > then.

    Modern compilers have better error checking than before. But Lint is
    better.

    > Do you use a lint tool? If yes, which one?

    Splint for C (it's free):
    http://www.splint.org/

    PC-Lint for C and C++ on a PC (it's commercial):
    http://www.gimpel.com/

    And Flexelint for C and C++ on non-PC platforms (same location as PC-
    Lint).

    I also use bounds checkers and design verification tools and case
    tools and anything else I can get my hands on.
    They make you look a lot smarter than you are by finding things you
    are too dull to notice.
    ;-)
    user923005, Apr 11, 2008

  2. user923005

    jaysome Guest

    On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:58:12 -0700, user923005 wrote:

    > On Apr 11, 5:27 am, "copx" <> wrote:
    >> I saw one here posting the output of a lint tool in a thread, and that
    >> made me wonder whether using such tools are still useful.

    > They are still useful. I lint all of my work.

    As should everyone.

    >> I mean, modern compilers are lint tools themselves, the list of
    >> warnings GCC can produce is almost endless for example. I heard that
    >> lint was used in the past mainly because C compilers provided only
    >> minimal sanity checks back then.

    > Modern compilers have better error checking than before. But Lint is
    > better.
    >
    >> Do you use a lint tool? If yes, which one?

    > Splint for C (it's free):
    > http://www.splint.org/

    Fair advice.
    (Note that splint does not work with C++ code).

    > PC-Lint for C and C++ on a PC (it's commercial): http://www.gimpel.com/

    Excellent advice.

    > And Flexelint for C and C++ on non-PC platforms (same location as PC-
    > Lint).

    Excellent advice.

    > I also use bounds checkers and design verification tools and case tools
    > and anything else I can get my hands on. They make you look a lot
    > smarter than you are by finding things you are too dull to notice.
    > ;-)

    Excellent advice.

    The more compilers and tools you can use on your code the better, IMHO.

    --
    jay

    http://www.microsoft.com/express/
    http://www.ubuntu.com/