Re: Living in a RAM-rich World

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tim Tyler, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Jon A. Cruz <> wrote:
    : Sudsy wrote:

    [Eclipse]

    :> I still don't see why so many are fawning over it: I achieve
    :> greater productivity using vi in an xterm [...]

    : Debugging and Refactoring.

    : Either one of those is where Eclipse can really help productivity.

    Of those, refactoring is the big one for me.

    The other things that I find are really a big deal are the
    incremental compiler, error reporting system and quick fixes.

    Having Eclipse compile your code as you type it in, highlight the
    problems by underlining them in red, and offer to fix them for you
    really helps - and having a compiler that is pretty quick (most
    of the time) - and /really/ understands when your project is in a
    consistent state is useful too.

    : I do use it, although I still switch to Emacs+JDEE for heavy editing.

    Understandable - Eclipse's editor is still in the stone age.

    Perhaps http://www.slickedit.com/products/pr_eclipse_plugin.php
    is one way of dealing with that.
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Jun 27, 2003

  2. Tim Tyler

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Tim Tyler wrote:
    > Jon A. Cruz <> wrote:
    > : Sudsy wrote:
    >
    > [Eclipse]
    >
    > :> I still don't see why so many are fawning over it: I achieve
    > :> greater productivity using vi in an xterm [...]
    >
    > : Debugging and Refactoring.
    >
    > : Either one of those is where Eclipse can really help productivity.
    >
    > Of those, refactoring is the big one for me.
    >
    > The other things that I find are really a big deal are the
    > incremental compiler, error reporting system and quick fixes.

    Oh. I forgot the other nice thing.

    For some uses, it's very nice that Eclipse can compile whatever is
    around in a compilable state, and does not need everything to have no
    errors. For example, if you have some code that uses a library that you
    don't have, Eclipse can still compilie most of the Java you do have,
    except for the lines that reference that missing source.

    Jon A. Cruz, Jun 27, 2003

  3. Jon A. Cruz wrote:
    > Tim Tyler wrote:
    >
    >> Jon A. Cruz <> wrote:
    >> : Sudsy wrote:
    >>
    >> [Eclipse]
    >>
    >> :> I still don't see why so many are fawning over it: I achieve
    >> :> greater productivity using vi in an xterm [...]
    >>
    >> : Debugging and Refactoring.
    >>
    >> : Either one of those is where Eclipse can really help productivity.
    >>
    >> Of those, refactoring is the big one for me.
    >>
    >> The other things that I find are really a big deal are the
    >> incremental compiler, error reporting system and quick fixes.
    >>

    > Oh. I forgot the other nice thing.
    >
    > For some uses, it's very nice that Eclipse can compile whatever is
    > around in a compilable state, and does not need everything to have no
    > errors. For example, if you have some code that uses a library that you
    > don't have, Eclipse can still compilie most of the Java you do have,
    > except for the lines that reference that missing source.

    But everytime you save anything, you get to see all those error messages
    over and over again. I want to save now because I made lots of changes,
    not becuase I'm ready to try compiling.

    David Zimmerman, Jun 27, 2003
  4. Tim Tyler

    Jon Skeet Guest

    David Zimmerman <> wrote:
    > > For some uses, it's very nice that Eclipse can compile whatever is
    > > around in a compilable state, and does not need everything to have no
    > > errors. For example, if you have some code that uses a library that you
    > > don't have, Eclipse can still compilie most of the Java you do have,
    > > except for the lines that reference that missing source.

    > But everytime you save anything, you get to see all those error messages
    > over and over again. I want to save now because I made lots of changes,
    > not becuase I'm ready to try compiling.

    So turn off automatic build on modification, if you want. Personally, I
    don't mind keeping seeing the error messages while I'm still coding,
    and automatic building saves me time and hassle...

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet/

    Jon Skeet, Jun 27, 2003