    From: Python-list [mailto:python-list-bounces+rob.richardson=] On Behalf Of Rob Richardson
    Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:52 PM
    Subject: RE: log4py confusion

    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that can be it. At least, it's not it on the line you specified. That form, with the target name given as a hard-coded string, is in use in every Python script our company uses. So, set_target() is expecting a file instead of a file name, there must besome implicit conversion going on that creates a file object of the given name before setting the log target to the file.

    On the other hand, it would certainly explain the " 'Unicode' object does not have attribute 'write' " message. A file object would be expected to have an attribute named 'write', while a string object wouldn't.

    The error happens after the target is changed to a file name contained in avariable. Why doesn't that implicit conversion work with a string contained in a variable? Do I have to do an explicit cast of some kind? Or, probably better, I should probably look up how to create a file object so I canpass it in to the set_target() function.

    That's one reason I asked for documentation on log4py: so I could see what methods are available, and what arguments they actually expect.

    Thanks again!

    RobR

    Rob Richardson, Dec 13, 2012