Re: logo design

Discussion in 'Python' started by Xah Lee, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    Logo LISP

    Xah Lee, 2006-12

    Ken Tilton wrote:

    «Small problem. You forget that Ron Garret wants us to change the
    name of Common Lisp as the sure-fire way to make it more popular (well,
    hang on, he says it is necessary, not sufficient. Anyway...) I do not
    think we can safely pick a new logo until we have our new name.»

    Changing a language's name is not something that can be easily done,
    and is unnatural and takes concerted effort, and is very difficult for
    it to be successful.

    However, creating a (universally recognized) logo for the language, is
    easily done, and in fact the use of a logo or some representative image
    is inevitable and wide-spread, willy-nilly.

    For example, although there are no official logos for lisp, but as you
    know, there are several logos or images of various forms that are
    already used widely, either to represent lisp the language family, or
    to represent the Common Lisp language. And, for various Scheme
    implementation, they almost all had a logo of their own. Example:

    above: The “twisty AI font†LISP logo. Used by http://lisp.org/ as
    early is 2001.

    above: The “earth in parenthesis†logo, used by http://lisp..org/ as
    of 2006-12.

    above: Conrad Barski's “alien technology†lisp web-badges (source
    ↗), which appeared in 2005.

    above: Manfred Spiller's “lizard†lisp web-badge (source ↗),
    which appeared in 2005.

    As these examples shows, that the use of a logo is needed in practice.
    However, it wouldn't help if there are one hundred different logos to
    represent the same thing. The point of logos, is to have a memorable,
    graphical representation. In modern, capitalistic, societies filled
    with information, the use of logos is inevitable. Just look around you
    at this very moment, you probably can identify tens of logos, and for
    each logo, you probably recognize what they represent. Logos, is merely
    a graphical representation of a entity, whose textual analogous
    counterpart are names.

    Since there is a need for logos, we might as well get together and
    agree to have one official logo for lisp the language. That way, it
    solidifies the purpose of the logos in use.

    Note that, although we have the beautiful “lisp lizard†and
    “alien technology†graphics, but because of their graphic content
    and in particular the embedded slogan, they do not fit as a logo, but
    more as web-badges.

    Web-badges serve slightly different purpose than logos. It is more for
    the purpose of promotion, than representation. For the same reason,
    there are mascots. For example, Java the language, has a official logo
    of a smoking coffee cup, but also has a mascot of a penguin named
    “Dukeâ€.

    above: The official Java logo, and its mascot.

    The World Wide Consortium organization (http://www.w3.org/) also has a
    logo, and it has various web-badges for its various web technology
    validation services.

    above: The official logo of the The World Wide Consortium organization,
    and the web-badge of its XHTML validation.

    The history of Python community's logo is a good example of the
    eventual recognition of a need for a unified, official logo.

    above: Old, widely used but not officially blessed logo for Python,
    used up to 2005.

    above: Various logos, application icon, and badges that has been used
    for Python.

    above: Official Python logo of “double snakesâ€, inaugurated in
    2005.

    ----
    This post is archived at:
    http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/writ/logo_lisp.html

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/
    Xah Lee, Dec 5, 2006

  2. >
    > Web-badges serve slightly different purpose than logos. It is more for
    > the purpose of promotion, than representation. For the same reason,
    > there are mascots. For example, Java the language, has a official logo
    > of a smoking coffee cup, but also has a mascot of a penguin named
    > “Dukeâ€.

    http://java.sun.com/features/1999/05/duke_gallery.html

    """
    Duke doesn't like bad code, working out, or being called a troll, a tooth,
    or a penguin.
    """

    As usual a shining example of Xah Lee not getting even the most basic facts
    right.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 5, 2006

  3. Xah Lee

    Ken Tilton Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > Logo LISP
    >
    > Xah Lee, 2006-12
    >
    > Ken Tilton wrote:
    >
    > «Small problem. You forget that Ron Garret wants us to change the
    > name of Common Lisp as the sure-fire way to make it more popular (well,
    > hang on, he says it is necessary, not sufficient. Anyway...) I do not
    > think we can safely pick a new logo until we have our new name.»
    >
    > Changing a language's name is not something that can be easily done,
    > and is unnatural and takes concerted effort, and is very difficult for
    > it to be successful.
    >
    > However, creating a (universally recognized) logo for the language, is
    > easily done, and in fact the use of a logo or some representative image
    > is inevitable and wide-spread, willy-nilly.
    >
    > For example, although there are no official logos for lisp, but as you
    > know, there are several logos or images of various forms that are
    > already used widely, either to represent lisp the language family, or
    > to represent the Common Lisp language. And, for various Scheme
    > implementation, they almost all had a logo of their own. Example:
    >
    > above: The “twisty AI font†LISP logo. Used by http://lisp.org/ as
    > early is 2001.
    >
    > above: The “earth in parenthesis†logo, used by http://lisp.org/ as
    > of 2006-12.
    >
    > above: Conrad Barski's “alien technology†lisp web-badges (source
    > ↗), which appeared in 2005.
    >
    > above: Manfred Spiller's “lizard†lisp web-badge (source ↗),
    > which appeared in 2005.
    >
    > As these examples shows, that the use of a logo is needed in practice.
    > However, it wouldn't help if there are one hundred different logos to
    > represent the same thing. The point of logos, is to have a memorable,
    > graphical representation. In modern, capitalistic, societies filled
    > with information, the use of logos is inevitable. Just look around you
    > at this very moment, you probably can identify tens of logos, and for
    > each logo, you probably recognize what they represent. Logos, is merely
    > a graphical representation of a entity, whose textual analogous
    > counterpart are names.
    >
    > Since there is a need for logos, we might as well get together and
    > agree to have one official logo for lisp the language. That way, it
    > solidifies the purpose of the logos in use.
    >
    > Note that, although we have the beautiful “lisp lizard†and
    > “alien technology†graphics, but because of their graphic content
    > and in particular the embedded slogan, they do not fit as a logo, but
    > more as web-badges.
    >
    > Web-badges serve slightly different purpose than logos. It is more for
    > the purpose of promotion, than representation. For the same reason,
    > there are mascots. For example, Java the language, has a official logo
    > of a smoking coffee cup,..

    A subtle execution of the tip of a tongue pressed against the upper
    teeth with sprays of spittle coming out either side probably is not what
    you had in mind.

    Hmmm. Then we change the spelling to Lithp, and never have to hear that
    stupid joke again. Our slogan can be "Thay it loud, thay it proud."*,
    and we already have the frickin lambda.

    hth,kt

    Or "Out With Lithp!".

    Algebra: http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

    "Well, I've wrestled with reality for thirty-five
    years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally
    won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd

    Ken Tilton, Dec 5, 2006