Re: Looking for a good memory and CPU profiler

Discussion in 'C++' started by Ian Collins, Nov 27, 2009.

  1. Ian Collins

    Ian Collins Guest

    Johnson wrote:
    > I am at a stage to test the footprint of my projects, such as the CPU
    > usage and memory usage during its running. My project is written in
    > standard c++.
    > Could anybody please recommend a memory and CPU profiler, easy to learn,
    > better open-source and free?

    Such tool are invariably tool-chain or platform specific, so you should
    try asking in a more relevant forum.

    Ian Collins
    Ian Collins, Nov 27, 2009

  2. Johnson schrieb:
    > Andy Champ wrote:
    > Thank you, Andy, I am using Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition. Does it
    > have the tools you mentioned?

    No, only Visual Studio Team System has it.
    André Schreiter, Nov 30, 2009

  3. Johnson wrote:
    > Thank you all very much for sharing. It seems that I have at least the
    > following 4 choices.
    > 1. AMD CodeAnalyst
    > 2. Valgrind
    > 3. Intel vTune Performance Analyze
    > 4. Visual Studio Profiler
    > I got a few more questions though and looking for help.
    > 1) Is AMD CodeAnalyst able to be integrated into Visual Studio C++
    > Express Edition instead of Visual C++ 2008 Edition? Same question for
    > Valgrind.

    Ask in a Visual Studio newsgroup. I don't think there is Valgrind for

    > 2) From AMD's website, it doesn't say that this profiler can be used for
    > CPUs/Processors other than AMD's. Do you think that I can use this
    > profiler for x86-based processors and ARM processors?

    I think AMD tech support knows the answer.

    > 3) My friend told me two other profilers, Visual Studio Profiler
    > (integrated in the team edition), and Intel vTune Performance Analyze.
    > Have you ever tried them and do you like them?

    Yes. And, sort of. VTune is a fine tool, and it takes some time to get
    proficient with it (as I recall, it may have changed). The built-in
    profiler is, well, not as capable. Usable, still.

    > 4 Which one is better in terms of both performance and learning curve,
    > of the above?

    The built-in one is the easiest, I think.

    > I want to find a tools that is easy to learn and use, and
    > support both x-86 processors and ARM processor.

    Try AutomatedQA's AQtime. (

    There are two more I've looked at, LTProf and GlowCode. The former is
    light and inexpensive. The latter got me through some code that VTune
    choked on. I since switched to AQtime and never looked back.

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 30, 2009