Re: looking for win32 (or cross-platform) midi module

Discussion in 'Python' started by Max M, Aug 2, 2003.

  1. Max M

    Max M Guest

    dan wrote:
    > is there anything like the nice midipy.pyd, but up to date (ie works > 2.0)???

    No

    regards Max M

    Max M, Aug 2, 2003

  2. Max M

    dan Guest

    Max M <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > dan wrote:
    > > is there anything like the nice midipy.pyd, but up to date (ie works > 2.0)???

    > No
    >
    > regards Max M

    the website (http://www.josos.org/midipy/) says:

    "MidiPY - real-time MIDI input module for python (win32) - If someone
    can compile for newer python versions, please!"

    So modules need to be recompiled every time a major release comes out?
    There's a .cpp file in midipy.zip but no instructions, makefile,
    includes, project files etc.

    dan, Aug 3, 2003

  3. dan wrote:

    > Max M <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> dan wrote:
    >> > is there anything like the nice midipy.pyd, but up to date (ie works >
    >> > 2.0)???

    >> No
    >>
    >> regards Max M

    > the website (http://www.josos.org/midipy/) says:
    >
    > "MidiPY - real-time MIDI input module for python (win32) - If someone
    > can compile for newer python versions, please!"
    >
    > So modules need to be recompiled every time a major release comes out?

    On Windows, yes. Each .PYD refers to the specific python DLL it was
    compiled for, e.g. PYTHON20.DLL, so if you're using PYTHON22.DLL or
    whatever other than PYTHON20.DLL you'll indeed need a recompile. On
    other architectures, not necessarily.

    > There's a .cpp file in midipy.zip but no instructions, makefile,
    > includes, project files etc.

    I think you mean midipy20.zip (the apparently slightly older midipy.zip
    which can also be found on the net has a .pyd and a readme, while the
    midipy20.zip adds a .cpp as well).

    Unfortunately, to rebuild that cpp you apparently also need the "OSC
    library" presumably from:

    http://www.pvv.org/cgi/thammer/soun...vv.org/~thammer/localfiles/software/osc11.zip

    [looks like a strange URL but it's the one I found on that "hammer"
    site] or perhaps an earlier version (I wouldn't know). Once you do
    have that, rebuilding the .pyd from the .cpp shouldn't be any harder
    (assuming you do have VC++ 6 installed) than writing and using the
    usual setup.py file for extension building, as documented on the
    Python online manuals and elsewhere.

    Alex

    Alex Martelli, Aug 3, 2003