Re: looking for XML parser

Discussion in 'XML' started by eday@obj-sys.com, Jan 19, 2005.

    It sounds to me like you might be looking for an XML data binding
    utility. Is the structure of your XML defined using an XML schema
    (XSD)? If so, you can translate the schema into program structures and
    serialization functions/methods in different languages. Our product
    (XBinder) generates C or C++ code. Other tools such as JAXB or Castor
    generate Java.

    If you are not using schema, you probably just need a standard XML
    parser. For C/C++, we have found libxml2 (xmlsoft.org) to be a good
    choice.

    Regards,

    Ed Day
    Objective Systems, Inc.
    http://www.obj-sys.com

    Pengcheng Chen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking for xml parser libraries to convert data between xml and

    c++
    > structs.
    >
    > I am working on an exsiting program, it was developed in
    > Microsoft VC++ 6.0, but the data is stored in xml files. The current
    > code uses standard c functions(fgets...)to read/write data files, it
    > works good, but slow. This must be changed since we now use much

    bigger
    > size of data. Some programmers suggested me to consider other data
    > formats,
    > like binary data files, this means that I need to rewrite a lot of
    > codes.
    >
    > I am very new in xml, but I believe that there must be some libraries

    > can use to improve our speed. Anyone here can give me ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ______________________
    >
    > Pengcheng Chen
    , Jan 19, 2005

    >It sounds to me like you might be looking for an XML data binding
    >utility. Is the structure of your XML defined using an XML schema
    >(XSD)?

    For the moment it is not a requirement... Basically i will have to
    parse xml files (with or without validation). The xml files might be
    huge, because they are contracts of insurance companies (will use
    SAX)... but there might be also small xml files (will use DOM).

    >If you are not using schema, you probably just need a standard XML
    >parser. For C/C++, we have found libxml2 (xmlsoft.org) to be a good
    >choice.

    I have been trying to decide between Xerces and libxml2, but until now
    i could just get Xerces working :/ and I see that libxml2 is more
    complicated, for instance for DOM support... and as you say, the schema
    is partially implemented in libxml2.

    I have another question: can libxml2 be run in win32? Because in the
    web site "http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html" it is said "If you
    use Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows ME operating systems, then you
    are on your own", but then after downloading the libxml , in the readme
    file we can read: "This is libxml2, version 2.6.15, binary package for
    the native Win32/IA32 platform"

    Thank you for replying :)
    Elisabete.
    , Jan 20, 2005