Re: mailbox_reader 1.0.2 -- Python module to read UNIX mailboxes sequentially.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. On 2003-07-12, Andrew Dalke <> wrote:
    > Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz:
    > > The module provides two classes: Mailbox, a file-like
    > > object which allows you to iterate through the contents of
    > > a mailbox, and Email, an object which holds the individual
    > > emails returned by Mailbox.

    > What does this do that the standard Python library doesn't support?
    > mailbox - http://python.org/doc/current/lib/module-mailbox.html
    > This module defines a number of classes that allow easy and uniform
    > access to mail messages in a (Unix) mailbox.
    > email - http://python.org/doc/current/lib/module-email.html
    > The email package is a library for managing email messages,

    * python 1.5.2 support.

    * last time I checked I was unable to use the mailbox module to read
    a mailbox, write it, and have them byte to byte identical. Didn't
    bother to check if this has changed, though:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=

    * MUCH easier to use, open and read, you can't do much more.

    * MUCH smaller. Easier to read the source and understand it.

    * IHateUselessMixedCaseStyleThankYou. IHateEvenMore the_fact_that
    the standardpythonlibrary mixes so_many DifferentStylesTogether.

    * personal fulfillment, I enjoy rewritting wheels.

    --
    Please don't send me private copies of your public answers. Thanks.

    Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz

    Max M Guest

    Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

    > * personal fulfillment, I enjoy rewritting wheels.

    It is often asked why one should re-invent the wheel. Personally I am
    glad that somebody did.

    My Nissan would drive terribly with two woodne logs, or stone wheels,
    instead of the current set of rubber tires.

    Also I don't think that Pirelli, Firestone etc. find it such a bad idea
    to keep reinventing the wheel.

    regards Max M

    Max M, Jul 13, 2003

  3. I agree that for a skilled professional programmer, reinventing the
    wheel is a waste of time, but for amateurs like me, it's worth the
    learning... for instance, I only managed to understood and use part of
    Twisted after trying to write my own simple framework... and sometimes
    I prefer to use it, for the simplicity and size...

    Pedro Werneck, Jul 13, 2003
  4. Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz

    Andrew Dalke Guest

    Me:
    > > What does this do that the standard Python library doesn't support?

    Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz
    > * python 1.5.2 support.
    > * [round-tripping]

    Could you include those points in your documentation? It
    helps others to understand when to look at your library vs.
    some other library.

    Andrew

    Andrew Dalke, Jul 13, 2003