Re: main and dependent objects

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jean-Michel Pichavant, Sep 13, 2012.

  1. ----- Original Message -----
    > I am in a situation where I have a class Obj which contains many
    > attributes, and also contains logically another object of class
    > Dependent.
    >
    > This dependent_object, however, also needs to access many fields of
    > the
    > original class, so at the moment we did something like this:
    >

    > class Dependent:
    > def __init__(self, orig):
    > self.orig = orig
    >
    > def using_other_attributes(self):
    > print("Using attr1", self.orig.attr1)
    >

    > class Obj:
    > def __init__(self):
    > self.attr1 = "attr1"
    > self.attr2 = "attr2"
    > self.attr3 = "attr3"
    >
    > self.dependent_object = Dependent(self)
    >

    > But I'm not so sure it's a good idea, it's a bit smelly..
    > Any other suggestion about how to get a similar result?
    >
    > I could of course passing all the arguments needed to the constructor
    > of
    > Dependent, but it's a bit tedious..
    >

    > Thanks,
    > Andrea

    Nothing shocking right here imo. It looks like a classic parent-child implementation.
    However it seems the relation between Obj and Dependent are 1-to-1. Since Dependent need to access all Obj attributes, are you sure that Dependent and Obj are not actually the same class ?

    JM

    Jean-Michel Pichavant, Sep 13, 2012