RE: make faster Richards benchmark

Discussion in 'Python' started by Simon Wittber, May 14, 2004.

  1. >> And Simon: "I just tried the benchmark with Psyco, and cut the run
    >> time for input=10000 from 8.1 seconds to 3.4"
    >>

    >What platform is this on?

    WinXP, P4 2.6GHZ, 512MB RAM

    Sw.

    Simon Wittber, May 14, 2004

  2. Simon Wittber

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Simon Wittber wrote:

    >>>And Simon: "I just tried the benchmark with Psyco, and cut the run
    >>>time for input=10000 from 8.1 seconds to 3.4"
    >>>

    >>What platform is this on?

    > WinXP, P4 2.6GHZ, 512MB RAM

    Hmm... did anyone else confirm your numbers, so that I'm
    the odd man out?

    I'm using Python 2.3.3 and the latest download of Psyco
    for it.

    If you're using that too, the only apparent difference is
    the CPU. Is it possible that could make such a significant
    difference? (Unlikely at best, I'd say.)

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 14, 2004

  3. Simon Wittber

    Meno Guest

    Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > >>What platform is this on?

    > > WinXP, P4 2.6GHZ, 512MB RAM

    > Hmm... did anyone else confirm your numbers, so that I'm
    > the odd man out?
    >
    > I'm using Python 2.3.3 and the latest download of Psyco
    > for it.
    >
    > If you're using that too, the only apparent difference is
    > the CPU. Is it possible that could make such a significant
    > difference? (Unlikely at best, I'd say.)
    >
    > -Peter

    On AMD XP 2500 and 512 MB RAM: gone from 855430 ticks to 503353 ticks
    with psyco. That is I think 41% less time.

    Peter, note that getting it to run twice as fast "only" means 50% less
    time. Maybe that is what you should compare with your 38%...

    Nemo.

    Meno, May 14, 2004
  4. Simon Wittber

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Meno wrote:

    > On AMD XP 2500 and 512 MB RAM: gone from 855430 ticks to 503353 ticks
    > with psyco. That is I think 41% less time.
    >
    > Peter, note that getting it to run twice as fast "only" means 50% less
    > time. Maybe that is what you should compare with your 38%...

    Thanks for the comparison. When I say 38% speedup, I mean a
    reduction in time of 27%, or I mean it now runs at 73% of
    the time it used to. We _are_ using the same meaning for
    "speedup" here...

    My raw numbers are 862806 ticks beforehand, which corresponds
    reasonably well with your value. After inserting the two lines
    "import psyco" and "psyco.full()" as the very first lines in
    the file, I get 627476 ticks. Am I putting it in the wrong
    place? (Also tried it at the end just before the call to
    main() with no difference.)

    -Peter

    Peter Hansen, May 14, 2004
  5. Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > My raw numbers are 862806 ticks beforehand, which corresponds
    > reasonably well with your value. After inserting the two lines
    > "import psyco" and "psyco.full()" as the very first lines in
    > the file, I get 627476 ticks. Am I putting it in the wrong
    > place? (Also tried it at the end just before the call to
    > main() with no difference.)

    Pysco is now shown
    http://www.lissett.com/ben/bench1.htm

    http://www.lissett.com/ben/bench3.htm