Re: Making pictures harder to steal...

Discussion in 'HTML' started by EightNineThree, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. "Bryan" <> wrote in message
    > I've posted some product pictures on our site that are better looking than
    > the manufactures pictures, and after spending several hours touching up
    > these pictures I don't want my competition easily lifting these pictures
    > from my site. I know nothing is 100% but what are some ways of protecting

    my
    > work?

    <snip crap>

    How Do I Keep People From Stealing My Stuff?
    The desire to protect your material is a natural one. Who wants to work hard
    to create something unique only to have some slimeball steal it? The
    problem, in terms of publishing information on the Internet, is the entire
    nature of the HTTP protocol makes your efforts to disrupt the efforts of
    thieves totally and completely ineffective.

    The Hypertext Transfer Protocol is an application-level protocol with the
    lightness and speed necessary for distributed collaborative hypermedia
    information systems. It is a generic stateless object oriented protocol that
    listens for traffic on Port 80. What does this mean to the layperson? The
    issue of preventing theft relies on its being "stateless". Simply put, HTTP
    works like this: 1) "Site Visitor" clicks a link to get to your page. 2) The
    server sends the page to their computer. 3) The page is displayed on "Site
    Visitor's" monitor. At the same time, the browser automatically saves the
    page and all of the images and other objects used to build the page in the
    browser's cache. The purpose for caching is to save on server load and
    quicken download times. If a site has the same 30k logo on every page, it
    saves the server 30k's worth of bandwidth load everytime someone requests
    another page during their session. It also saves "Site Visitor" however much
    time 30k takes to download on their connection. The issue here though, is
    that as soon as the page is displayed on screen, it is already "stolen"!

    So at this point, you'd think people would just give up, right?
    Unfortunately, no. Instead, they try to implement harebrained ideas like
    disabling the right mouse button by using Javascript. Is it any wonder why
    people turn off Javascript altogether? At best, a "no right click" script
    will keep clueless newbies from stealing your images. I would guess though,
    that the same people too clueless to get past this method are also too
    clueless to use the right-click to steal something in the first place. At
    the same time, the rest of the world is annoyed at this misguided trick.
    Clicking the right mouse button is used for more things than just saving
    images. It can also be used as a navigational tool.

    The right-click menu also displays a number of important navigational aids
    that people (such as myself) often use to get around. Because of the fact
    that "no right click" scripts disable any use of the right mouse button,
    you're actually disabling a navigational feature more than you are
    preventing theft. By disabling the right mouse button, you're rudely
    dictating to the user how they can navigate your site. What if I don't want
    to go all the way to the top left of my browser window just to go back? Why
    should I? That's right, because you decided to mess with my hardware. In a
    misguided attempt to prevent theft, users of "no right click" scripts are
    doing nothing more than buggering their user's navigation.

    The determined thief can do more than just right click to steal. Law
    enforcement professionals know one thing above all others: Locks and other
    theft prevention devices only serve to keep honest people honest. The theory
    is: keeping your keys in your ignition will increase your chances of getting
    your car stolen only because it provides an impetus in
    not-otherwise-criminal people. A determined car thief will steal your car
    whether your keys are there or not. The same goes for people who want to
    steal your stuff. "Go ahead with that silly javascript and I'll steal it
    anyway" says the thief. And he can do so with confidence. While you sit back
    thinking you're keeping people from stealing (as if it wasn't already
    stolen, see above), there are still other ways to steal:

    1. See that purdy "File" on the top left of your screen? Click it then
    click on "Save As" Badabing! The WHOLE page and its contents are now saved.
    Congratulations. Now the person has not only the one image he/she really
    wanted, but now they have every image on the page.
    2. In Windows, click Alt+Print Screen and they now have a 72dpi image of
    everything on their screen. Now cut and paste it into any image program
    browser's address bar

    So at this point, it is just time to face the truth: You can't prevent theft
    of your stuff. If you're really that concerned with not having your stuff
    stolen, don't put it on the Internet. But there's another thing at issue
    here: The fact that no matter how good you think your stuff is, you're no
    Ansel Adams or William Talbot. Does the website for Ansel Adams have a
    no-right-click script? No. Does the Van Gogh Gallery have a no-right-click
    script? No. Then why should yours? I can download whole books by the world's
    greatest philosophers and authors. But you want to hide your sourcecode from
    the world? Your choice is simple - accept the nature of the Internet, or
    don't make a web site.

    --
    Karl Core

    Charles Sweeney says my sig is fine as it is.
    EightNineThree, Aug 9, 2003