Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Ben Pfaff, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Ben Pfaff

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    (ehab) writes:

    > How can I get man pages for GCC commands like get or putc or getc ...etc?

    1. These are not GCC-specific. They are part of the standard C
    programming language's library.

    2. These are not "commands". C does not have commands. They are
    functions.

    3. "man <name>"
    );}return 0;}

    Ben Pfaff, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Ben Pfaff wrote:

    > C does not have commands.

    C is an imperative programming language.
    It *does* have commands.
    Every assignment statement is a command.
    Every invocation of a "void" function is a command.

    E. Robert Tisdale, Jun 24, 2003

  3. "E. Robert Tisdale" wrote:

    > Ben Pfaff wrote:
    >
    > > C does not have commands.

    > C is an imperative programming language.
    > It *does* have commands.

    The only commands you can invoke in C are via the system() function.

    > Every assignment statement is a command.
    > Every invocation of a "void" function is a command.

    If that were true, it would be possible to pass invocations of "void"
    functions to the command processor via a system() call. Please
    demonstrate this, in a way that will work with any reasonably conforming
    ISO C90 or C99 implementation.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Jun 24, 2003
  4. Ben Pfaff

    Chris Dollin Guest

    E. Robert Tisdale wrote:

    > Ben Pfaff wrote:
    >
    >> C does not have commands.

    > C is an imperative programming language.
    > It *does* have commands.

    It does not use that terminology. It has never, despite its ancestry,
    used that terminology. Using that terminology is misleading outside
    some cleary-defined contexts, no matter how much more natural you
    might find it.

    > Every assignment statement is a command.
    > Every invocation of a "void" function is a command.

    That's an interesting hypothesis, but without a definition of "command"
    it's a bit hard to test. And, so far as I know, the C standard doesn't
    give us a definition for "command" that applies to C constructs.

    --
    Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
    C welcome: http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc.html

    Chris Dollin, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Chris Dollin wrote:
    > E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
    >

    >>Ben Pfaff wrote:
    >>

    >>>C does not have commands.

    >>C is an imperative programming language.
    >>It *does* have commands.

    I believe being an imperative programming language means that
    computation is done by applying static code to data. I also think
    the code is called operations, not commands. I might be wrong
    though.

    --
    Thomas.

    Thomas Stegen, Jun 28, 2003