Re: Mandrake 10.1 and Python 2.3.4

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Ridley, May 16, 2005.

  1. John Ridley

    John Ridley Guest

    "Joal Heagney" wrote:

    > Hi everyone. I've been getting this error message in python, and it's

    > really driving me up the wall.
    >

    > [EMAIL PROTECTED] joal]$ python
    > 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    > Python 2.3.4 (#1, Apr 18 2005, 19:03:06)
    > [GCC 3.4.1] on linux2
    > Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more

    information.

    > Here's the relevant line when i run python in verbose mode:
    >

    > 'import site' failed; traceback:
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site.py", line 169, in ?
    > sys.lib,
    > AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lib'
    >
    > Is this a Mandrake or a Python mistake?
    > And does anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    > I think this is the reason why I'm getting errors when it comes to
    > importing other python packages.

    I have both python 2.3.4 and 2.4.1 installed on Mandrake 10.1 - and
    only 2.4.1 gives the error.

    So - have you tried to install python 2.4 recently?

    Also, are you using a pythonrc.py startup file which is trying to
    import the sys module? Have a look to see if a PYTHONSTARTUP
    environment variable has been set to the path of such a file.

    HTH

    John Ridley

    John Ridley, May 16, 2005

  2. John Ridley

    Joal Heagney Guest

    *sighs*

    Still not able to find a version of Mandrake Python which won't give me
    this problem, so I just went into site.py and edited it.

    Replace all occurances of sys.lib to "lib" and site.py loads up.
    Incidently it fixed all the other import issues that I'd been having
    with Python.

    Strange that other Mandrake Users aren't getting this.

    Joal Heagney

    Joal Heagney, May 16, 2005