Re: Menu

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 8, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site map...

    sitemap follows after a well laid site.

    Animesh Kumar, Jun 8, 2005

  3. "Animesh Kumar" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

    map...

    > sitemap follows after a well laid site.

    Why don´t you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot give
    any advice about the design of a site map?

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-valle-daosta/boende-i-italien-i-valle-daosta.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Animesh Kumar" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>>Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

    > map...
    >
    >>sitemap follows after a well laid site.

    > Why don´t you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot give
    > any advice about the design of a site map?

    And the advisors to the captain of the Titanic didn't want to, or
    couldn't, give any advice about the arrangement of the deck chairs other
    than that if the captain would only concentrate on keeping his ship from
    sinking, the chairs would wind up much better arranged than they would
    be on the ocean floor after the ship sank.

    As the other person said, if you concentrate on getting your site as a
    whole structured and arranged in a logical way, then the site map will
    follow naturally from this. On the other hand, if you keep a messy,
    illogical, inconsistent site as you have now, you, and anybody else who
    does as you insist and concentrates narrowly (like a horse wearing
    blinders) on the issue of creating a site map for it, will go crazy
    trying to come up with anything that is at all sensible. It's difficult
    mapping the structure of something that doesn't *have* any structure.

    --
    == Dan ==

    Daniel R. Tobias, Jun 8, 2005
  5. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Animesh Kumar" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>>Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

    > map...
    >
    >>sitemap follows after a well laid site.

    > Why don´t you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot give
    > any advice about the design of a site map?

    I repeat: sitemap follows after a well laid site.

    Animesh Kumar, Jun 8, 2005
  6. "Daniel R. Tobias" <> skrev i meddelandet
    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Animesh Kumar" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>>Of course I did not get any real answer about the design of a site

    > map...
    >
    >>sitemap follows after a well laid site.

    > Why don´t you simply say that either you do not want to or you cannot

    give
    > any advice about the design of a site map?

    >As the other person said, if you concentrate on getting your site as a
    >whole structured and arranged in a logical way, then the site map will
    >follow naturally from this.

    The site has already a structure.
    You might not understand it because you cannot speak Swedish and because you
    did not visit the whole site.
    Of course, it has some occasional mistakes and there are many pages under
    construction
    but that does not affect the
    possibility of creating site map.
    On top of this I do not find that it were necessary to think about a certain
    website
    to give suggestions about how to build a website.
    Steve asked about the number of the links that I wanted to have in the site
    map and after I said the number he did not write anything about the site map
    anyway.
    Therefore I am of the opinion that you either do not want or you cannot give

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 8, 2005

    >On top of this I do not find that it were necessary to think about a

    certain
    >website
    > to give suggestions about how to build a website.

    That would be valid for a site map as well.
    What is wrong with the sign now, by the way?
    Shouldn´it be one space after "--"?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 8, 2005
  8. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Steve asked about the number of the links that I wanted to have in the site
    > map and after I said the number he did not write anything about the site map
    > anyway.

    Like I've got nothing better to do with my time?

    50 links is a fine number for a site map. Presumably you know what
    categories these links will be grouped together in (this will probably
    mirror your site navigation) and there will probably be a few odds and
    ends left over that don't fit into any category (links to help, contact
    and other such pages).

    For the links that fall into categories you'll want one link to the
    category home page (this may or may not be marked up as a heading
    depending on whether, in your opinion, it is aactually a heading for
    the next following list) and then a set of links for the pages within
    that category which will be marked up as an unordered list (unless your
    content has a linear sturcture in which case an ordered list may be
    more appropriate). If you decide to include third level pages in your
    site map then use nested lists to mark them up.

    Ther odds and ends can be either be marked up the same as the category
    links (and here the decision to use headings falls apart as these will
    be heading of nothing) or can be marked up as another list, probably
    styled to appear slightly differently.

    Style all the above with CSS to match the general design of your site.

    Unless your link texts are very short you'll probably want place the
    various lists in two or three columns. Use common sense and CSS to do
    this.

    Slap <h1>Site Map</h1> above all this and slot into your standard site
    template.

    There are a variations on the above but that's the basics.

    Any further questions?

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Jun 8, 2005
  9. "Steve Pugh" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Steve asked about the number of the links that I wanted to have in the

    site
    > > map and after I said the number he did not write anything about the site

    map
    > > anyway.

    > Like I've got nothing better to do with my time?
    >
    > 50 links is a fine number for a site map. Presumably you know what
    > categories these links will be grouped together in (this will probably
    > mirror your site navigation) and there will probably be a few odds and
    > ends left over that don't fit into any category (links to help, contact
    > and other such pages).
    >
    > For the links that fall into categories you'll want one link to the
    > category home page (this may or may not be marked up as a heading
    > depending on whether, in your opinion, it is aactually a heading for
    > the next following list) and then a set of links for the pages within
    > that category which will be marked up as an unordered list (unless your
    > content has a linear sturcture in which case an ordered list may be
    > more appropriate). If you decide to include third level pages in your
    > site map then use nested lists to mark them up.
    >
    > Ther odds and ends can be either be marked up the same as the category
    > links (and here the decision to use headings falls apart as these will
    > be heading of nothing) or can be marked up as another list, probably
    > styled to appear slightly differently.
    >
    > Style all the above with CSS to match the general design of your site.
    >
    > Unless your link texts are very short you'll probably want place the
    > various lists in two or three columns. Use common sense and CSS to do
    > this.
    >
    > Slap <h1>Site Map</h1> above all this and slot into your standard site
    > template.
    >
    > There are a variations on the above but that's the basics.
    >
    > Any further questions?

    Thank you for your answer.
    I shall look at it more carefully later. But I am under the impression that
    it was perhaps the first or the second one in this thread which had much to
    do with my original question.
    My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are some
    site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could group
    several items in a circle or in a ellipse.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/italien-toscana-marciana-chiessi.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 8, 2005
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Oli Filth Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
    > My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are some
    > site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could group
    > several items in a circle or in a ellipse.

    position:absolute

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Jun 8, 2005
  11. Oli Filth wrote:
    > Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
    >
    >> My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are
    >> some
    >> site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could group
    >> several items in a circle or in a ellipse.
    >>

    > position:absolute

    ^^^^^^^^^^

    Will that group in ellipse! I think images can rescue, but div or such
    boxes would fail bigtime in making ellipses. Am also curious why should
    sitemap be in form of ellipse.

    Best

    Animesh Kumar, Jun 8, 2005
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Steve Pugh Guest

    Animesh Kumar <> wrote:
    >Oli Filth wrote:
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
    >>
    >>> My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are
    >>> some site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how
    >>> I could group several items in a circle or in a ellipse.

    >> position:absolute

    >^^^^^^^^^^
    >
    >Will that group in ellipse!

    Yes. It won't draw an ellipse (unless you use a lot of 1px x 1px
    elements) but it can arrange a set of elements in a rough ellipse.

    >I think images can rescue, but div or such
    >boxes would fail bigtime in making ellipses.

    The main failure would be that the the elements are almost certain to
    overlap and/or shoot off the screen at some user chosen font size and
    screen resolution. Basic failing of most complex absolutly positioned
    schemes.

    >Am also curious why should
    >sitemap be in form of ellipse.

    Good question. I wonder if Luigi has an answer or just an opinion?

    Unless there's something about the site structure that inherently
    implies a particular visual relationship it's generally less confusing
    to users to present site maps in the by-now-traditional columns of
    lists format.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Jun 8, 2005
  13. Luigi Donatello Asero

    dorayme Guest

    > From: Animesh Kumar <>

    > Oli Filth wrote:
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
    >>
    >>> My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are
    >>> some
    >>> site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could group
    >>> several items in a circle or in a ellipse.
    >>>

    >> position:absolute

    > ^^^^^^^^^^

    Am also curious why should
    > sitemap be in form of ellipse.

    The OP never said it *had* to be, he may *want* it to be and surely he can
    be allowed this without too much curiosity at this stage.

    dorayme

    (who promised to keep out of this thread)

    dorayme, Jun 9, 2005
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Jun 9, 2005
  15. "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
    > > My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are

    some
    > > site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could

    group
    > > several items in a circle or in a ellipse.
    > >

    > position:absolute
    >

    > --
    > Oli

    What would you get with position: absolute?
    A circle? An ellipse?
    Both??

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 9, 2005
  16. "Animesh Kumar" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Oli Filth wrote:
    > > Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
    > >
    > >> My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are
    > >> some
    > >> site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could

    group
    > >> several items in a circle or in a ellipse.
    > >>

    > > position:absolute

    > ^^^^^^^^^^
    > >

    > Will that group in ellipse! I think images can rescue, but div or such
    > boxes would fail bigtime in making ellipses. Am also curious why should
    > sitemap be in form of ellipse.

    Did you say "should"?
    Are you worried why your site map does not have a form of ellipse?

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 9, 2005
  17. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Oli Filth" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Luigi Donatello Asero said the following on 08/06/2005 17:34:
    >>> My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there
    >>> are some site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know
    >>> how I could group several items in a circle or in a ellipse.

    >> position:absolute

    > What would you get with position: absolute?
    > A circle? An ellipse?
    > Both??

    With position:absolute you get whatever you want, even stars and
    stripes if you like :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 9, 2005
  18. "Steve Pugh" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Animesh Kumar <> wrote:
    > >Oli Filth wrote:

    > >> position:absolute

    > >^^^^^^^^^^
    > >
    > >Will that group in ellipse!

    > Yes. It won't draw an ellipse (unless you use a lot of 1px x 1px
    > elements) but it can arrange a set of elements in a rough ellipse.
    >
    > >I think images can rescue, but div or such
    > >boxes would fail bigtime in making ellipses.

    > The main failure would be that the the elements are almost certain to
    > overlap and/or shoot off the screen at some user chosen font size and
    > screen resolution. Basic failing of most complex absolutly positioned
    > schemes.
    >
    > >Am also curious why should
    > >sitemap be in form of ellipse.

    > Good question. I wonder if Luigi has an answer or just an opinion?

    He said "should". So, ma-be you could ask him...

    > Unless there's something about the site structure that inherently
    > implies a particular visual relationship it's generally less confusing
    > to users to present site maps in the by-now-traditional columns of
    > lists format.
    >
    > Steve

    The by-now traditional columns of lists format can sometimes be clear but
    boring.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 9, 2005
  19. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Els Guest

    Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Animesh Kumar" <> skrev i meddelandet

    >> Will that group in ellipse! I think images can rescue, but div or such
    >> boxes would fail bigtime in making ellipses. Am also curious why should
    >> sitemap be in form of ellipse.

    > Did you say "should"?
    > Are you worried why your site map does not have a form of ellipse?

    "should" doesnt always mean "have to" or "must".
    Animesh is curious (me too) why you would want to have your sitemap in
    the form of an ellipse.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Jun 9, 2005
  20. "Toby Inkster" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > My next question is about how to style css. I have seen that there are

    some
    > > site maps with nice geometrical forms but I do not know how I could

    group
    > > several items in a circle or in a ellipse.

    > http://tobyinkster.co.uk/more-complex-spiral
    >
    > --
    > Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    That already sounds an interesting suggestion.
    But I was wondering whether I could position the lists of links in this form
    without showing the spiral or the circle or the ellipse themselves.
    If I used a circle for example, the homepage could be at the centre of the
    page.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Jun 9, 2005