Re: Micro sign

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tlvp, Dec 11, 2011.

  1. tlvp

    tlvp Guest

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:05:26 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > Using lower case "m" as a symbol for the "micro" prefix is simply
    > incorrect by three magnitudes, and it was always incorrect.

    I quite agree: not only incorrect, but, at least in the pharmaceutical
    domain, potentially life-threatening! My pharmacist nontheless insists
    that anyone familiar with the drugs and their standard dosages will
    *never* interpret an "mg" incorrectly given the drug being referred to.
    I, nonetheless, have my doubts, as I've already made clear.

    For one need only recall last century's NASA misadventure, resulting
    from an inch/cm confusion (or was it a mil/mm confusion?) to be very
    wary of such typographical penny-pinching.

    Cheers, -- tlvp

    tlvp, Dec 11, 2011

  2. tlvp

    P E Schoen Guest

    "tlvp" wrote in message news:1a2e3bgtc0q65.1sqxrsg56zd99$...

    > On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:05:26 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >> Using lower case "m" as a symbol for the "micro" prefix is simply
    >> incorrect by three magnitudes, and it was always incorrect.

    > I quite agree: not only incorrect, but, at least in the pharmaceutical
    > domain, potentially life-threatening! My pharmacist nontheless
    > insists that anyone familiar with the drugs and their standard
    > dosages will *never* interpret an "mg" incorrectly given the drug
    > being referred to. I, nonetheless, have my doubts, as I've already
    > made clear.

    > For one need only recall last century's NASA misadventure,
    > resulting from an inch/cm confusion (or was it a mil/mm
    > confusion?) to be very wary of such typographical
    > penny-pinching.

    I can remember when frequency was in cps, rather than Hz, and I think
    microfarads were mF. Mostly I remember that picofarads were referred to as
    micromicroFarads, probably, mmF, and often called "Mickey-Mikes". Even more
    recent is the use of nanoFarads. I sometimes still prefer something like
    0.0022 uF instead of 2.2 nF. And it is also often written as 2n20, which has
    better readability in scanned schematics where the decimal point can be
    missed.

    Paul
    www.muttleydog.com

    P E Schoen, Dec 13, 2011