Re: minimize a program into an icon on the taskbar.

Discussion in 'Python' started by Frank Niessink, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. Rajesh Sathyamoorthy:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would know how to minimize a program (wxpython app) into an icon on
    > the taskbar on windows (the one at the side near the clock, i can't
    > remember what is it called.)
    >
    > Is it easy to be done? Is there a way to do the same thing on Linux?

    Did you look into wx.TaskBarIcon?

    Cheers, Frank

    Frank Niessink, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Frank Niessink

    Larry Bates Guest

    Frank Niessink wrote:
    > Rajesh Sathyamoorthy:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would know how to minimize a program (wxpython app) into an icon on
    >> the taskbar on windows (the one at the side near the clock, i can't
    >> remember what is it called.)
    >>
    >> Is it easy to be done? Is there a way to do the same thing on Linux?

    > Did you look into wx.TaskBarIcon?
    >
    > Cheers, Frank

    Its called the system tray and here is a link to some sample code
    for Windows I found via Google:

    http://www.brunningonline.net/simon/blog/archives/SysTrayIcon.py.html

    Here is a link that says it works for KDE:

    http://rootprompt.org/article.php3?article=8294

    This may help with gnome:

    http://www.realistanew.com/2005/04/19/bittorrent-tray-icon/

    -Larry Bates

    Larry Bates, Feb 28, 2006

  3. Frank Niessink

    Larry Bates Guest

    Larry Bates, Feb 28, 2006
  4. Larry Bates:
    > Its called the system tray and here is a link to some sample code
    > for Windows I found via Google:

    But, but, but, ... the OP was talking about a wxPython app.
    wx.TaskBarIcon is the wxPython builtin support for making an icon in the
    system tray. Nothing else is needed.

    Cheers, Frank

    Frank Niessink, Feb 28, 2006