Re: missing feature classes and missing fields

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gary Herron, Jul 1, 2006.

  1. Gary Herron

    Gary Herron Guest

    subramanian2003 wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > How can I check missing feature classes in a folder/personal geodatabase using python script. And how can I check missing fields in shape files. And also I want to check the attribute values using python.
    >
    > Thnx,
    > Subramanian.

    This list is usually very helpful, however, I think you are going to
    need to be more specific to get an answer here.

    For instance,

    What's are "missing feature classes"?
    What's a "folder/personal geodatabase"?
    What's are "missing fields"?
    What's a "shape file"?
    On what object to you wish to check "attribute values"?

    I'm not sure I can help even if I have those answers, but I'm sure I
    can't help if I don't.

    Gary Herron

    Gary Herron, Jul 1, 2006

  2. Gary Herron schreef:
    > subramanian2003 wrote:
    >> Hello All,
    >>
    >> How can I check missing feature classes in a folder/personal geodatabase using python script. And how can I check missing fields in shape files. And also I want to check the attribute values using python.
    >>
    >> Thnx,
    >> Subramanian.
    >>

    > This list is usually very helpful, however, I think you are going to
    > need to be more specific to get an answer here.
    >
    > For instance,
    >
    > What's are "missing feature classes"?
    > What's a "folder/personal geodatabase"?
    > What's are "missing fields"?
    > What's a "shape file"?
    > On what object to you wish to check "attribute values"?

    AFAIK, shape files are files with geospatial information used by ESRI
    (http://www.esri.com/) products (and others). Features are the objects
    in the geospatial database (roads, bridges, buildings, ...) and the
    features have attributes and the attributes have values (e.g. a road may
    have an attribute 'width' with a value '10 m').

    But I still can't answer the question. I don't even know if there's a
    way for python to read shape files. Maybe there's something to be found
    at http://www.freegis.org/ or http://www.opensourcegis.org/.

    Roel Schroeven

    Roel Schroeven, Jul 1, 2006

  3. Roel Schroeven a écrit :
    (snip)
    > AFAIK, shape files are files with geospatial information used by ESRI

    (snip)
    > But I still can't answer the question. I don't even know if there's a
    > way for python to read shape files.

    There's of course a way to read files in Python - look at the
    open(<path> [,<mode>]) builtin function.

    Now if you meant parsing, as long as there's an accurate definition of
    the file format, then it should be possible to write a Python parser for
    it.

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Jul 4, 2006