Re: Missing utf8_heavy.pl

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Peter J. Holzer, Apr 8, 2012.

  1. On 2012-04-08 18:49, James Moe <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    > perl v5.14.2
    > assp v1.7.5.7 (yes, it is old)
    > opensuse v12.1
    >
    > ASSP = anti-spam smtp proxy, a bayesian spam filter.
    > I attempted to move ASSP from a server that was running perl v5.8.6 to
    > another server. After installing and configuring, all attempts to send
    > mail result in this error:
    >
    > "Mainloop: Can't locate utf8_heavy.pl in @INC"
    > (@INC contains: .
    > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/x86_64-linux-thread-multi

    [...]
    > /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2
    > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/local/bin/assp-v1)
    > at /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2/utf8.pm line 17.;
    >
    > despite the fact that utf8_heavy.pl (and ./unicore and ./Unicode) exists
    > in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/

    utf8_heavy.pl is part of the perl core. It should not be in
    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, but in /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2. Did you copy
    that yourself?

    hp

    --
    _ | Peter J. Holzer | Deprecating human carelessness and
    |_|_) | Sysadmin WSR | ignorance has no successful track record.

    Peter J. Holzer, Apr 8, 2012

  2. On 2012-04-09 06:04, James Moe <> wrote:
    > On 04/08/2012 12:12 PM, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
    >>> I attempted to move ASSP from a server that was running perl v5.8.6 to
    >>> another server. After installing and configuring, all attempts to send
    >>> mail result in this error:
    >>>
    >>> "Mainloop: Can't locate utf8_heavy.pl in @INC"
    >>> (@INC contains: .
    >>>
    >>> despite the fact that utf8_heavy.pl (and ./unicore and ./Unicode) exists
    >>> in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.14.2/

    >> utf8_heavy.pl is part of the perl core. It should not be in
    >> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl, but in /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2. Did you copy
    >> that yourself?
    >>

    > The files are also in /usr/lib/perl5/5.14.2/. Regardless, since the
    > files are in both places of the search path, how is it that they cannot
    > be found?

    Hard to say from a distance. You could try strace to check what it is
    really doing.

    Preferrably with a simple script like this:

    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use warnings;
    use strict;
    use utf8;
    use 5.010;

    binmode STDOUT, ":encoding(UTF-8)";

    my $s = "Käsefüße";

    say $s;
    say lc $s;
    say uc $s;
    __END__

    But simple fact that you have a core file in a non-core location is
    strong indication that your perl installation is messed up. Maybe one of
    your utf8_heavy.pl files doesn't match your perl version, or maybe some
    of the files that utf8_heavy.pl is trying to load is missing (although I
    would expect a different error message in this case). Or maybe
    permissions are wrong ...

    > The installation is what I ended up with after an update from opensuse
    > v11.4 to v12.1.

    Maybe something went wrong during the update. Have you tried a fresh
    installation of opensuse v12.1?

    hp

    Peter J. Holzer, Apr 9, 2012