Re: Modelsim on cygwin?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Andy Peters, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. Andy Peters

    Andy Peters Guest

    Ric Thompson wrote:
    > I've had this problem on a couple of projects now, but I'm not sure
    > what the best fix is.
    >
    > I have an environment which is set up for Unix, with scripts and
    > makefiles containing mainly relative paths, but with some paths rooted
    > at '/'. I also need to get these projects working on Windows/cygwin.
    >
    > On cygwin, the bash scripts and makefiles run Ok, and cygwin makes
    > sure that paths rooted at '/' actually appear at 'c:\cygwin\' in the
    > file system. However, if I have a script which includes the command
    > 'vcom /myfile' then vcom/vsim attempt to open 'c:/myfile', and not
    > 'c:/cygwin/myfile'. They presumably bypass the cygwin API in some way.
    >
    > Any ideas on the best way to handle this? Ideally, I want to use
    > exactly the same scripts and makefiles on Unix and Windows.

    I realize that what I'm about to say probably won't help, but I've been
    in your shoes, and the best solution was to make all paths relative.
    There are other reasons for doing this; for example, if you use
    source-code control (and you DO, right?), everything is much easier if
    you can check out your design into any arbitrary directory and have it
    build properly.

    I find myself always checking and possibly editing tool-generated
    project and other files to make sure that there are no absolute paths.
    Everything is a lot easier.

    -a
    Andy Peters, Nov 18, 2005