Re: Modelsim PE vs. Aldec Active-HDL (PE)

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by rickman, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. rickman

    rickman Guest

    On Mar 3, 8:02 am, "Pete Fraser" <> wrote:
    > I've finally decided to buy a better simulator
    > (I've been making do with Modelsim XE so far).
    >
    > Any thoughts as to the relative merits of Modelsim PE and
    > Active-HDL (PE) for FPGA simulation?

    I can't say anything about the question you asked, but I can say that
    I bought the entry level design package for Lattice since they don't
    have a free version that can actually be used for work like Xilinx and
    Altera do. I ordered the package that included ModelSim and that was
    good for me since that is the only simulator I have used. But between
    the time I sent in the order and the time when I licensed the tool,
    they changed their agreements and started providing ActiveHDL! I
    complained loudly but they would not provide a license for the tool I
    had and would only send me the software for the new tool. So I gave
    it a try and have hardly looked back.

    My point is that it is very easy to switch and I am totally happy with
    ActiveHDL. I can't think of anything about that I don't like other
    than possibly the way it wants to create its own structure for your
    files, but I finally figured out how to keep it from copying the
    source files to it's own directory. I still don't know what the
    difference between a design and a "workspace" is, but the Lattice
    version only allows one design to a workspace. I don't seem to be
    limited by that.

    Rick
    rickman, Mar 3, 2010