RE: module not callable - why not?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Robert Brewer, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. Josiah Carlson wrote:
    > Singletons aren't nearly as prevalent as you seem to believe. Take a
    > peek in the standard library, and you'll find a large body of
    > good code
    > that has chosen not to use the "singleton design pattern". Truth be
    > told, I've used singletons before, but only once.

    I thought I had twice,
    But now I can see there was
    Only one instance.

    ;)

    FuManChu

    Robert Brewer, Apr 18, 2004

  2. Robert Brewer

    Hung Jung Lu Guest

    "Robert Brewer" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Josiah Carlson wrote:
    > > Singletons aren't nearly as prevalent as you seem to believe.
    > > ... Truth be told, I've used singletons before, but only once.

    > I thought I had twice,
    > But now I can see there was
    > Only one instance.

    Ha. As I have said, "singleton pattern" is symptom of a disease. But
    the concept of "singleton" itself, that is, a unique instance of a
    class, is ubiquitous. Just about any decent-size program that you
    write will have lots of singletons: classes that have one single
    instance. Therefore, you have used singletons tons of times. You just
    have not followed recipes for "singleton pattern", which is good,
    because it is symptom of a disease.

    regards,

    Hung Jung

    Hung Jung Lu, Apr 19, 2004

  3. On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:02:51AM -0700, Hung Jung Lu wrote:
    > "Robert Brewer" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Josiah Carlson wrote:
    > > > Singletons aren't nearly as prevalent as you seem to believe.
    > > > ... Truth be told, I've used singletons before, but only once.

    > > I thought I had twice,
    > > But now I can see there was
    > > Only one instance.

    > Ha. As I have said, "singleton pattern" is symptom of a disease. But
    > the concept of "singleton" itself, that is, a unique instance of a
    > class, is ubiquitous. Just about any decent-size program that you
    > write will have lots of singletons: classes that have one single
    > instance. Therefore, you have used singletons tons of times. You just
    > have not followed recipes for "singleton pattern", which is good,
    > because it is symptom of a disease.

    Yes, as you've said many times. It may be language barrier but your
    posts about everyone else being completely wrong and dumb aren't
    winning you any converts. I'm glad you like prototype based languages,
    and have fun working on Prothon. Until it becomes more than vaporware
    (eg, finished compiler and used successfully in a project) it can't
    be more than a better idea. Since I need to actually get some work
    done I'll stick with python.

    -jackdied

    Jack Diederich, Apr 19, 2004