Re: module trace and counts

Discussion in 'Python' started by rh, Nov 17, 2012.

  1. rh

    rh Guest

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 13:37:23 -0500
    Dave Angel <> wrote:

    > On 11/17/2012 12:25 PM, rh wrote:
    > > Is it for or range that is executed 8000 times when I
    > > for i in range(3,8000,2):

    > Nothing is executed 8000 times. I figure it at 3998 times. Anyway,

    It turns out that trace accumulates data across invocations and so two
    runs resulted in the 8000 I saw. I also have since changed what happens
    inside the loop.

    I am running module trace from the
    command line and the options and the output cause confusion.

    Here's the bit from module trace:
    "-c, --count Count the number of times each line is executed
    and write the counts to <module>.cover for each
    module executed, in the module's directory."

    > neither the for nor the range is executed multiple times. Deciphering
    > this depends on whether this is Python 2.x or Python 3.x.
    >
    > If Python 2.x, range returns a list of 3998 items, and that is
    > iterated over.

    Yes I have 2.7.3

    > If Python 3.x, range returns a range object, which has an __iter__()
    > special method. That method gets called 3999 times, and the last time
    > it throws an exception to end the loop.

    Interesting I haven't tried 3.x

    Thanks for the help!

    rh, Nov 17, 2012