Re: More precise document on os.path.normpath()

Discussion in 'Python' started by Benjamin Kaplan, Nov 24, 2009.

  1. On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Peng Yu <> wrote:
    > After I tried os.path.normpath(), it is clear that the function
    > doesn't return the trailing '/', if the path is a directory. But this
    > fact is not documented. Should this be documented in future release of
    > python.
    >
    > Also, I found the documentation of some functions in os.path are not
    > clear. I have to try them in order to understand them for corner
    > cases. I'm wondering if I can join the people who maintain the
    > document to help improve it.
    > --

    Just file a bug report listing what part you find unclear and what you
    suggest they put to clarify it.

    Benjamin Kaplan, Nov 24, 2009

  2. Benjamin Kaplan

    Carl Banks Guest

    On Nov 23, 5:59 pm, Benjamin Kaplan <> wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Peng Yu <> wrote:
    > > After I tried os.path.normpath(), it is clear that the function
    > > doesn't return the trailing '/', if the path is a directory. But this
    > > fact is not documented. Should this be documented in future release of
    > > python.

    > > Also, I found the documentation of some functions in os.path are not
    > > clear. I have to try them in order to understand them for corner
    > > cases. I'm wondering if I can join the people who maintain the
    > > document to help improve it.

    > Just file a bug report listing what part you find unclear and what you
    > suggest they put to clarify it.

    The documentation does not and should not try to document every little
    detail of every function.

    For that matter, nor should comp.lang.python.

    Python is open source, anyone can look at the implementation to see
    how it behaves. The source code is the right place to seek answers
    about arcane minutae like when os.path.normpath appends a backslash.
    Not the Python docuementation, and definitely not this newsgroup.

    Carl Banks
    Carl Banks, Nov 24, 2009