Re: multi-platform python app on cd

Discussion in 'Python' started by John J. Lee, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. John J. Lee

    John J. Lee Guest

    Peter Maas <> writes:
    [...]
    > I want to create a Python based application with a GUI that runs
    > from CD without the need to install Python. Is that possible?
    > Is that possible for Linux, UNIX, Win32 and Mac? E.g. with wxPython
    > and something like Py2Exe for Win32?

    Not meaning to be facetious, but: Yes.

    As to how exactly, dunno.

    Apologies in advance for stating what's probably obvious to you, but:
    If it has to be cross-platform, I'm sure many of the issues are
    independent of Python, so you'll probably want to try googling for
    that & then (when you've got your head around the issues), maybe
    posting to other groups / lists.

    John

    John J. Lee, Jun 24, 2003

  2. John J. Lee

    Peter Maas Guest

    John J. Lee wrote:
    > Apologies in advance for stating what's probably obvious to you, but:
    > If it has to be cross-platform, I'm sure many of the issues are
    > independent of Python, so you'll probably want to try googling for
    > that & then (when you've got your head around the issues), maybe
    > posting to other groups / lists.

    John,

    I have googled this topic before posting and found only some hints
    to py2exe that I knew already. As far as Linux/UNIX is concerned I'm
    pretty sure that it is possible, perhaps by compiling the executable
    with relative default path settings (?) and providing some modules.
    The unknown part is Mac. I subscribed to the pythonmac-sig@ mailing
    list but either I did something wrong or the list is dead.

    Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

    Peter Maas

    Peter Maas, M+R Infosysteme, D-52070 Aachen, Hubert-Wienen-Str. 24
    Tel +49-241-93878-0 Fax +49-241-93878-20 eMail

    Peter Maas, Jun 25, 2003

  3. John J. Lee

    JanC Guest

    Peter Maas <> schreef:

    > I have googled this topic before posting and found only some hints
    > to py2exe that I knew already. As far as Linux/UNIX is concerned I'm
    > pretty sure that it is possible, perhaps by compiling the executable
    > with relative default path settings (?) and providing some modules.
    > The unknown part is Mac.

    Googling is an art... :)

    I found that Python for the Mac comes with a "BuildApplication.py" script
    that does something similar as py2exe on Windows:

    """Create a standalone application from a Python script.

    This puts up a dialog asking for a Python source file ('TEXT').
    The output is a file with the same name but its ".py" suffix dropped.
    It is created by copying an applet template, all used shared libs and
    then adding 'PYC ' resources containing compiled versions of all used
    modules written in Python and the main script itself, as __main__.
    """

    --
    JanC

    JanC, Jun 26, 2003