Re: multipart/form-data in an HTTP client

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ames Andreas (MPA/DF), Sep 2, 2004.

  1. Hello,

    Jeff Shannon wrote:

    > I, too, was surprised that the existing Python libraries don't
    > directly support multipart/form-data already, and I hope that this
    > gets added in soon.

    I'm not sure what you'd call 'support' and I'm certainly no http guru,
    so my hint my be far away from what you want (sorry if so), but the
    function 'parse_multipart' and the class 'FieldStorage' in cgi.py
    (v2.3) both handle multipart/formdata typed requests.

    cheers,

    andreas
    Ames Andreas (MPA/DF), Sep 2, 2004

  2. Ames Andreas (MPA/DF)

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    Ames Andreas (MPA/DF) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Jeff Shannon wrote:
    >

    >>I, too, was surprised that the existing Python libraries don't
    >>directly support multipart/form-data already, and I hope that this
    >>gets added in soon.
    >>

    >I'm not sure what you'd call 'support' and I'm certainly no http guru,
    >so my hint my be far away from what you want (sorry if so), but the
    >function 'parse_multipart' and the class 'FieldStorage' in cgi.py
    >(v2.3) both handle multipart/formdata typed requests.

    Right, but those handle it from the server side, not the client side.
    (I failed to specify that I was speaking of client-side support, via
    urllib2 or equivalent, having assumed that that would be apparent from
    the post I was replying to.)

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International