Re: multiple 2.7.3 versions?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Reedy, Feb 16, 2013.

  1. Terry Reedy

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 2/15/2013 6:06 PM, Ned Deily wrote:
    > In article <kfmdu8$iim$>, Terry Reedy <>
    > wrote:
    >> On 2/15/2013 5:53 AM, Robin Becker wrote:
    >>> On
    >>> all the other machines I have access to I'm seeing something similar to
    >>> this

    >> Notice the date again -- the original release date of 2.7.3.

    > FYI - the date is a build date; it doesn't tell you much about the
    > source code base used for that Python build.

    If a build called 2.7.3 is built on the 2.7.3 release date, one may
    reasonably think that it is built from the 2.7.3 code released on that
    date. Besides which, I recognized that as the header from the PSF
    distributed build ;-). More problematical is any build, even of the same
    name, built later, by anyone else, as with Ubuntu releases.

    > But if it had the hg rev used
    > for the checkout, you have some indication of what it contains.

    My impression is that Ubuntu does not build from any of *our* hg revs,
    but that they cherry pick patches to apply in their repository. I agree
    that is they gave *their* repository url and checkout id, that would be
    helpful. We could possible do that with our releases too.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Feb 16, 2013