Re: Multiple browsers under Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by C A Upsdell, Aug 17, 2010.

  1. C A Upsdell

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-08-17 10:59, Robert Miles wrote:
    > I've found that I can report spam posted through
    > Google Groups more effectively if I often switch
    > from one browser to another. Therefore, I'm
    > looking for more information on which browsers
    > can be installed on the same machine without
    > interfering with each other. So far, I've found
    > that Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox are
    > sufficiently compatible for this. Can you
    > recommend any more?

    The only limitation is that you can have only one version of IE. You
    can have as many versions of other browsers installed as long as each is
    in its own directory: I have 18, for testing websites.
    C A Upsdell, Aug 17, 2010

  2. C A Upsdell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <i4e9t6$3od$-september.org>,
    C A Upsdell <> wrote:

    > The only limitation is that you can have only one version of IE. You
    > can have as many versions of other browsers installed as long as each is
    > in its own directory: I have 18, for testing websites.

    How many are versions of one browser?

    In IE tester on Windows OS, you can have a webpage (more or less,
    allegedly at least) appear as it would on some main different IE
    versions *in tabs*. Be nice to have this sort of thing, in tabs,
    for quite different browsers. In a sort of super browser of
    browsers.

    On my Mac laptop, you can run different OSs on virtual java
    machines, there may be a possibility here for a keen java
    programmer to spend half his life making this super browser.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 17, 2010

  3. C A Upsdell

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-08-17 18:41, dorayme wrote:
    > In article<i4e9t6$3od$-september.org>,
    > C A Upsdell<> wrote:
    >
    >> The only limitation is that you can have only one version of IE. You
    >> can have as many versions of other browsers installed as long as each is
    >> in its own directory: I have 18, for testing websites.

    > How many are versions of one browser?

    4 versions of FF. 5 versions of Opera, plus the Opera Mobile 10
    emulator. 2 versions of Mozilla. 1 version each of Chrome, Safari, and
    SeaMonkey. An iPad emulator. Two versions of IE8 (32 and 64 bit). And,
    oh yes, I forgot, I also have IE 5.01, 6.0, and 7.0, each of which runs
    using Microsoft Virtual PC. That is 21 in all.

    I could remove some: SeaMonkey is really redundant for testing sites
    given that I have FF, though SM does some have configuration options
    which let me do some tests which are infeasible with FF; Opera 7 is not
    used much today; and who uses Mozilla 1.4 today? But it easier to keep
    old browsers hanging around, just in case, than it would be to uninstall
    them.
    C A Upsdell, Aug 18, 2010
  4. C A Upsdell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 17 Aug 2010, C A Upsdell <> wrote:

    > On 2010-08-17 18:41, dorayme wrote:
    >> In article<i4e9t6$3od$-september.org>,
    >> C A Upsdell<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The only limitation is that you can have only one version of IE.
    >>> You can have as many versions of other browsers installed as long
    >>> as each is in its own directory: I have 18, for testing websites.

    >> How many are versions of one browser?

    > 4 versions of FF. 5 versions of Opera, plus the Opera Mobile 10
    > emulator. 2 versions of Mozilla. 1 version each of Chrome, Safari,
    > and SeaMonkey. An iPad emulator. Two versions of IE8 (32 and 64 bit).
    > And, oh yes, I forgot, I also have IE 5.01, 6.0, and 7.0, each of
    > which runs using Microsoft Virtual PC. That is 21 in all.

    Question. Do you have any problems with user profiles in the different
    versions of ff? IOW, could I have a distinct profile for each version?

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 18, 2010
  5. C A Upsdell

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-08-18 04:28, Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> How many are versions of one browser?

    >> 4 versions of FF. 5 versions of Opera, plus the Opera Mobile 10
    >> emulator. 2 versions of Mozilla. 1 version each of Chrome, Safari,
    >> and SeaMonkey. An iPad emulator. Two versions of IE8 (32 and 64 bit).
    >> And, oh yes, I forgot, I also have IE 5.01, 6.0, and 7.0, each of
    >> which runs using Microsoft Virtual PC. That is 21 in all.

    > Question. Do you have any problems with user profiles in the different
    > versions of ff? IOW, could I have a distinct profile for each version?

    No problem except that I run only one version of FF at a time.

    You get a different profile for each version AFAIK if each is in its own
    directory.
    C A Upsdell, Aug 18, 2010
  6. C A Upsdell wrote:

    > On 2010-08-17 10:59, Robert Miles wrote:
    >> I've found that I can report spam posted through
    >> Google Groups more effectively if I often switch
    >> from one browser to another. Therefore, I'm
    >> looking for more information on which browsers
    >> can be installed on the same machine without
    >> interfering with each other. So far, I've found
    >> that Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox are
    >> sufficiently compatible for this. Can you
    >> recommend any more?

    > The only limitation is that you can have only one version of IE. You
    > can have as many versions of other browsers installed as long as each is
    > in its own directory: I have 18, for testing websites.

    There is actually a way to run different IE versions side-by-side, but it's
    a bit of a hack. I don't know if it works on Vista/Windows 7, but I know
    that I used to do it on XP a couple years back.

    -Rob
    Robert Tomsick, Aug 23, 2010
  7. C A Upsdell

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-08-23 09:07, Robert Tomsick wrote:
    > C A Upsdell wrote:
    >
    >> On 2010-08-17 10:59, Robert Miles wrote:
    >>> I've found that I can report spam posted through
    >>> Google Groups more effectively if I often switch
    >>> from one browser to another. Therefore, I'm
    >>> looking for more information on which browsers
    >>> can be installed on the same machine without
    >>> interfering with each other. So far, I've found
    >>> that Internet Explorer 8 and Mozilla Firefox are
    >>> sufficiently compatible for this. Can you
    >>> recommend any more?

    >> The only limitation is that you can have only one version of IE. You
    >> can have as many versions of other browsers installed as long as each is
    >> in its own directory: I have 18, for testing websites.

    > There is actually a way to run different IE versions side-by-side, but it's
    > a bit of a hack. I don't know if it works on Vista/Windows 7, but I know
    > that I used to do it on XP a couple years back.

    Yeah, someone offers a package of IE browsers, set up so that all can be
    run at once: but I used it and after a few weeks it destabilized my PC,
    and I had to waste 28 hours fixing the damage, so I don't recommend that
    package. I use Virtual PC instead ... which is what Microsoft
    recommends, but which does not, I think, fit in with what the OP wants.
    C A Upsdell, Aug 23, 2010
  8. C A Upsdell wrote:

    > On 2010-08-23 09:07, Robert Tomsick wrote:
    >> C A Upsdell wrote:

    >>> The only limitation is that you can have only one version of IE. You
    >>> can have as many versions of other browsers installed as long as each is
    >>> in its own directory: I have 18, for testing websites.

    >> There is actually a way to run different IE versions side-by-side, but
    >> it's
    >> a bit of a hack. I don't know if it works on Vista/Windows 7, but I know
    >> that I used to do it on XP a couple years back.

    > Yeah, someone offers a package of IE browsers, set up so that all can be
    > run at once: but I used it and after a few weeks it destabilized my PC,
    > and I had to waste 28 hours fixing the damage, so I don't recommend that
    > package. I use Virtual PC instead ... which is what Microsoft
    > recommends, but which does not, I think, fit in with what the OP wants.

    Perhaps we're talking about different solutions... the installer that I used
    doesn't modify the OS itself AFAIK (although a registry tweak was necessary
    to get conditional comments working correctly), and I never had an issue
    with it across the five or so machines that I ran it on. That said, it is a
    hack so YMMV.
    Robert Tomsick, Aug 23, 2010
  9. C A Upsdell

    C A Upsdell Guest

    On 2010-08-23 10:13, Robert Tomsick wrote:

    >>> There is actually a way to run different IE versions side-by-side, but
    >>> it's
    >>> a bit of a hack. I don't know if it works on Vista/Windows 7, but I know
    >>> that I used to do it on XP a couple years back.

    >> Yeah, someone offers a package of IE browsers, set up so that all can be
    >> run at once: but I used it and after a few weeks it destabilized my PC,
    >> and I had to waste 28 hours fixing the damage, so I don't recommend that
    >> package. I use Virtual PC instead ... which is what Microsoft
    >> recommends, but which does not, I think, fit in with what the OP wants.

    > Perhaps we're talking about different solutions... the installer that I used
    > doesn't modify the OS itself AFAIK (although a registry tweak was necessary
    > to get conditional comments working correctly), and I never had an issue
    > with it across the five or so machines that I ran it on. That said, it is a
    > hack so YMMV.

    What I used, and what royally screwed up my PC, was the Hilbrand Edskes
    Internet Explorer Collection.
    C A Upsdell, Aug 23, 2010
  10. C A Upsdell wrote:

    >>> Yeah, someone offers a package of IE browsers, set up so that all can be
    >>> run at once: but I used it and after a few weeks it destabilized my PC,
    >>> and I had to waste 28 hours fixing the damage, so I don't recommend that
    >>> package. I use Virtual PC instead ... which is what Microsoft
    >>> recommends, but which does not, I think, fit in with what the OP wants.

    >> Perhaps we're talking about different solutions... the installer that I
    >> used doesn't modify the OS itself AFAIK (although a registry tweak was
    >> necessary to get conditional comments working correctly), and I never had
    >> an issue
    >> with it across the five or so machines that I ran it on. That said, it
    >> is a hack so YMMV.

    > What I used, and what royally screwed up my PC, was the Hilbrand Edskes
    > Internet Explorer Collection.

    Ah. I haven't used that, but I certainly won't start now. :D Thanks for
    the heads-up.

    I've had good luck with TredoSoft's "Multiple IE" installer [1], but it
    doesn't appear to be maintained anymore. Still, it will let you run
    versions 3.0 through 6.0 on an XP machine with IE 7 installed, so that
    covers nearly all of the IE line.

    [1] http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

    Cheers,
    Rob
    Robert Tomsick, Aug 23, 2010
  11. C A Upsdell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 18 Aug 2010, C A Upsdell <> wrote:

    >>> 4 versions of FF. 5 versions of Opera, plus the Opera Mobile 10
    >>> emulator. 2 versions of Mozilla. 1 version each of Chrome, Safari,
    >>> and SeaMonkey. An iPad emulator. Two versions of IE8 (32 and 64
    >>> bit). And, oh yes, I forgot, I also have IE 5.01, 6.0, and 7.0,
    >>> each of which runs using Microsoft Virtual PC. That is 21 in all.

    >> Question. Do you have any problems with user profiles in the
    >> different versions of ff? IOW, could I have a distinct profile for
    >> each version?

    > No problem except that I run only one version of FF at a time.
    >
    > You get a different profile for each version AFAIK if each is in its
    > own directory.

    Okay, thanks. I may try installing some old versions of ff/seaMonkey
    to test with.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 23, 2010
  12. C A Upsdell

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 18 Aug 2010, Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:

    >>> 4 versions of FF. 5 versions of Opera, plus the Opera Mobile 10
    >>> emulator. 2 versions of Mozilla. 1 version each of Chrome, Safari,
    >>> and SeaMonkey. An iPad emulator. Two versions of IE8 (32 and 64
    >>> bit). And, oh yes, I forgot, I also have IE 5.01, 6.0, and 7.0,
    >>> each of which runs using Microsoft Virtual PC. That is 21 in all.

    >> Question. Do you have any problems with user profiles in the
    >> different versions of ff? IOW, could I have a distinct profile for
    >> each version?

    > Mozilla-based browsers /should/ each have their own profile. It can
    > really screw up the profile's prefs.js file if two diff versions
    > access the same profile. Also, a single profile cannot be used
    > simultaneously by two browsers.
    >
    > Firefox and SeaMonkey, for example, will create unique profiles when
    > installed. However, if you then installed another version of Firefox
    > it may well find the existing FF profile and use it. That is /not/ a
    > good idea. I would run the second version with the -profileManager
    > switch and create a new profile just for that version. Then I'd
    > modify the shortcut used to launch that version by specifying that it
    > use that profile when it runs.

    Yeah, I think that's what happened to me 'bout 2 years ago. AFAIC, a
    new, separate profile should be the default; heck, the software could
    even detect whether you're overwriting an old install or _adding_ a new
    one and response accordingly. Mozilla has been around for a while now
    so maybe they've gotten a touch of Microsoftitis. (And PS: it still Ts
    me off that they don't fix their old bugs, for instance the ones with
    their shitty cache.)

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, Aug 23, 2010
  13. C A Upsdell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <i4u27u$3f6$-september.org>,
    Robert Tomsick <> wrote:

    > I've had good luck with TredoSoft's "Multiple IE" installer [1], but it
    > doesn't appear to be maintained anymore. Still, it will let you run
    > versions 3.0 through 6.0 on an XP machine with IE 7 installed, so that
    > covers nearly all of the IE line.
    >
    > [1] http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

    And with IE8 installed?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 23, 2010
  14. dorayme wrote:
    > Robert Tomsick <> wrote:

    >> > [1]http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

    > And with IE8 installed?

    Yes

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 23, 2010
  15. C A Upsdell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <i4ut11$tnr$-september.org>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:

    > > And with IE8 installed?
    > >

    > Yes

    Thnks, also thnk I might even have done this! I upgraded
    yesterday to IE8 on one virtual XP I run and there is an IE6 icon
    on desktop that might still work. Wiil check soon. I pay poor
    attention to my Win install. But I must say, since I started
    using a virtual machine on a modern Intel Mac Laptop, it is much
    more convenient. I will one day modernise the main desktop.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 24, 2010
  16. dorayme wrote:
    > In article<i4ut11$tnr$-september.org>,
    > "Jonathan N. Little"<> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> And with IE8 installed?
    >>>

    >> Yes

    > Thnks, also thnk I might even have done this! I upgraded
    > yesterday to IE8 on one virtual XP I run and there is an IE6 icon
    > on desktop that might still work. Wiil check soon. I pay poor
    > attention to my Win install. But I must say, since I started
    > using a virtual machine on a modern Intel Mac Laptop, it is much
    > more convenient. I will one day modernise the main desktop.

    You have to reinstall Multiple_IE after the upgrade to IE8

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 24, 2010
  17. C A Upsdell

    dorayme Guest

    In article <i50c2n$lo8$-september.org>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article<i4ut11$tnr$-september.org>,

    > >> Yes

    > > Thnks, also thnk I might even have done this! I upgraded
    > > yesterday to IE8 on one virtual XP I run and there is an IE6 icon
    > > on desktop that might still work. Wiil check soon. I pay poor
    > > attention to my Win install. But I must say, since I started
    > > using a virtual machine on a modern Intel Mac Laptop, it is much
    > > more convenient. I will one day modernise the main desktop.
    > >

    > You have to reinstall Multiple_IE after the upgrade to IE8

    Well, I just checked and fired up the IE6 icon on the desktop and
    it opened fine, I upgraded to IE8 from 7 a couple of days ago. At
    least the IE6 browser window says at the top IE6 (Microsoft
    Internet Explorer)?

    And in one of my sites, btw, a beautiful big crimson drop cap W
    is not appearing, I just notice! No doubt a float bug, recent
    site, must make a for IE6 eye only style sheet! This IE6 is going
    to haunt us for how long? On our death beds, just before we draw
    our last breath, will we ask, "Is it dead, did I win?"

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Aug 24, 2010
  18. dorayme wrote:

    > This IE6 is going
    > to haunt us for how long? On our death beds, just before we draw
    > our last breath, will we ask, "Is it dead, did I win?"

    Because corporations bought into the proprietary "features" of IE and
    designed their intranet apps using msdn guides I think we will not loose
    IE6 unless the next version of Windows does not support the legacy IE6
    browser...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Aug 25, 2010
  19. C A Upsdell

    Dylan Parry Guest

    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Because corporations bought into the proprietary "features" of IE and
    > designed their intranet apps using msdn guides I think we will not
    > loose IE6 unless the next version of Windows does not support the
    > legacy IE6 browser...

    The last two versions of Window haven't supported IE6! Vista came with
    IE7 installed, and couldn't run 6 without a lot of effort. Win7 is the
    same.

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Aug 25, 2010
  20. C A Upsdell

    basilisk Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:53:07 -0400, Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    >> This IE6 is going
    >> to haunt us for how long? On our death beds, just before we draw
    >> our last breath, will we ask, "Is it dead, did I win?"
    >>

    > Because corporations bought into the proprietary "features" of IE and
    > designed their intranet apps using msdn guides I think we will not loose
    > IE6 unless the next version of Windows does not support the legacy IE6
    > browser...

    I am interested in taking some refresher math courses and was going to
    apply
    at the nearest community college, their registration page "required"
    IE 6 or FF 1.x. I decided to go elsewhere.

    basilisk
    basilisk, Aug 25, 2010