Re: Multiple instances

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by KJ, Feb 13, 2009.

  1. KJ

    KJ Guest

    "mattia" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I need some help. Which is the best way to instantiate multiple
    > cores using the minimun additional logic available?

    Instantiate each core and connect them with wires.

    > Can you provide me
    > some code?

    entity Things is port(
    Gazinta: in std_ulogic;
    Gazouta: in std_ulogic);
    end Things;
    architecture RTL of Things is
    signal bbb: std_ulogic;
    begin
    The_Thing1 : entity Thing1
    port map(
    a=> Gazinta,
    b=> bbb);

    The_Thing2 : entity Thing2
    port map(
    a=> bbb,
    b=> Gazouta);
    end RTL;

    See, it's not that hard. Enjoy.

    Kevin Jennings

    KJ, Feb 13, 2009

  2. KJ

    KJ Guest

    "mattia" <> wrote in message
    > Il Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:10:38 -0500, KJ ha scritto:
    >
    >> "mattia" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi all, I need some help. Which is the best way to instantiate multiple

    <snip>

    > Ok, but what if I want to feed all my instances with the same clock event
    > so that executing one or N instances don't affect my performances?

    You don't connect 'clock events', you connect signals. If you have multiple
    instances that all need to be receiving some signal that happens to be named
    'clock', then you simply put that signal name on the right side of the port
    map

    The_Thing1 : entity work.Thing1
    port map(
    a=> Gazinta,
    x=> clock,
    b=> bbb);

    The_Thing2 : entity work.Thing2
    port map(
    a=> bbb,
    y=> clock,
    b=> Gazouta);

    > I want
    > to test the performances of a core instantiated multiple times in order
    > to see if my device scale proportionally.

    Is there something holding you back from doing just that? The example
    entities 'Thing1' and 'Thing2' could just as easily be the same entity. For
    example...
    The_Thing1 : entity work.Thing1 port map(....);
    The_Thing2 : entity work.Thing1 port map(....);

    KJ

    KJ, Feb 14, 2009