Re: MVC Model 2 vs Struts

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jason, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not generally speaking a
    fan of frameworks. I'm not a fan of frameworks because the tradeoff
    of having some of the work done for me doesn't usually offset the pain
    I have to put up with to use the framework.

    I do not use a framework (as such) on the project on which I am
    currently working. We do have a framework though I would call it more
    of a toolbox than a framework. The framework we use doesn't automate
    any tasks what it does do is remove the need to write code for often
    repeated tasks such as connecting to a database, or reporting an
    exception, or handling user authentication and verification (something
    that is very important on this project)

    Bottom line when looking at anything, tool, process or otherwise, "If
    the activity you are about to undertake promotes the ultimate goal of
    putting usable software in front of your users then it's a good thing
    and should be retained. If it does not, it's a bad thing and should
    be removed from your process."

    Just my 2 krupplenicks on the subject.

    Jason, Jul 21, 2003

  2. Jason

    tk Guest

    > Struts has a pretty steep learning curve for most people. I've been using
    > it for over 2 yeras now on most java web apps I build. Your question: MVC

    Can you be more specific on what part of struts had the biggest learning
    curve? We worked on it for over a year (got laid off from the last job
    where we did it) but it's been a little bit of time since I worked on it.
    I seem to recall the actual act of familiarizing one's self with the actions
    and forms as well as the forwards and form mappings were not too bad. We
    had a bigger problem with the thin-client than we did with the middle/db
    tiers :) Our biggest learning curves was in learning the tag libs and
    the (ughh) JavaScript that we had to use in our JSPs.

    Cool thing about struts was that once the initial understanding of how the
    actions and forms interacted thru the controller was accomplished, much of
    it resulted in cut/paste. Although last time I worked with it, I recall
    the struts-config.xml file was getting HUGE in our application because we
    literally had a few hundred actions and forms (our app was huge) and we
    wanted to be able to have struts-config.xml include other config.xml files
    but struts did not support that as of last year. Does it support it now?

    > do. With XDoclet, you do not need to manage the struts-mapping.xml file;

    In one/two sentances, what does XDoclet allow you to do? This is something
    I need to check into.

    thanks, Theron

    tk, Jul 22, 2003

  3. "tk" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > In one/two sentances, what does XDoclet allow you to do? This is something
    > I need to check into.

    You put special javadoc parms in your code like

    @struts.form name="FredForm"

    or

    @struts.action name="FredAction" path=... etc.

    XDoclet parses the java files and creates the xml files based on these tags.

    Peter Schoaff, Jul 22, 2003
  4. Jason

    Andrew S. Guest

    "tk" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Struts has a pretty steep learning curve for most people. I've been using
    > > it for over 2 yeras now on most java web apps I build. Your question: MVC

    > Can you be more specific on what part of struts had the biggest learning
    > curve? We worked on it for over a year (got laid off from the last job
    > where we did it) but it's been a little bit of time since I worked on it.
    > I seem to recall the actual act of familiarizing one's self with the actions
    > and forms as well as the forwards and form mappings were not too bad. We
    > had a bigger problem with the thin-client than we did with the middle/db
    > tiers :) Our biggest learning curves was in learning the tag libs and
    > the (ughh) JavaScript that we had to use in our JSPs.
    >
    > Cool thing about struts was that once the initial understanding of how the
    > actions and forms interacted thru the controller was accomplished, much of
    > it resulted in cut/paste. Although last time I worked with it, I recall
    > the struts-config.xml file was getting HUGE in our application because we
    > literally had a few hundred actions and forms (our app was huge) and we
    > wanted to be able to have struts-config.xml include other config.xml files
    > but struts did not support that as of last year. Does it support it now?
    >
    > > do. With XDoclet, you do not need to manage the struts-mapping.xml file;

    > In one/two sentances, what does XDoclet allow you to do? This is something
    > I need to check into.
    >
    > thanks, Theron

    Since Struts is a framework there are several levels of abstraction
    which allow you to extend the framework. The hard part (for me) is
    figuring out how those abstraction layers work together.
    Conceptually it all makes sense (see numerout articles) but you want
    to know the details so you can add your extensions at the appropriate
    places.

    Your example of handling actionform and action is the logical starting
    point since that is the basic service Struts provides. But that is
    just the starting point.

    Andrew

    Andrew S., Jul 22, 2003