    Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:55:11 +0200
    From: Eugen Leitl <>
    To: <>
    Subject: Re: [info] (comp.lang.python) Re: My son wants me to teach him Python

    On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 04:48:52PM +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:

    > No. Definitely not. Programming does NOT begin with a GUI. It begins with
    > something *simple*, so you're not stuck fiddling around with the
    > unnecessary. On today's computers, that usually means console I/O
    > (actually console output, with console input coming along much later).

    Of course kids are more interesting in things painted on
    screen, especially if they are colorful, move and make
    sounds at that. The next step would be a simple,
    interactive game.

    Which is why I would synthesize something neat yet
    simple from http://processing.org/tutorials/

    Python is overkill for a kid. Ugh. Some people have just
    no common sense at all.

    Tomasz Rola, Jun 13, 2013

  2. Tomasz Rola

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Tomasz Rola <> writes:
    > I've reposted on another list and got this reply. At first I was sceptic
    > a bit, but for the sake of completeness, here goes. Processing language
    > seems to be interesting in its own right. Examples are Java-flavoured,
    > images are ok.

    There is a book "Python for Kids" that I haven't looked at, from No
    Starch Press. You might check into it.

    You might also look at the game Code Hero, which teaches kids to program
    games with Unity3D and Javascript.

    Paul Rubin, Jun 13, 2013

  3. Tomasz Rola

    rusi Guest

    On Jun 13, 9:50 pm, Tomasz Rola <> wrote:
    > I've reposted on another list and got this reply. At first I was sceptic
    > a bit, but for the sake of completeness, here goes. Processing language
    > seems to be interesting in its own right. Examples are Java-flavoured,
    > images are ok.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Tomasz Rola
    >
    > --
    > ** A C programmer asked whether computer had Buddha's nature.      **
    > ** As the answer, master did "rm -rif" on the programmer's home    **
    > ** directory. And then the C programmer became enlightened...      **
    > **                                                                 **
    > ** Tomasz Rola          mailto:             **

    All kids can be fit into the stereotype -- 'kid'??

    I can tell you after 25 years teaching programming --
    Some kids will take to FP, others will not
    Some will take to C, some wont
    Some will take to C AND C++, some will take to only one
    The majority are ok with python, some hate it

    One of my long term projects is to take a type classification like
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator
    and see how it maps to a person's potential as a programmer

    rusi, Jun 13, 2013