Re: Mysql in Python?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Simon John, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Simon John

    Simon John Guest

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > > Using PHP native database functions is a very bad idea. All

    experencied
    > > programmers use more abstract db wrappers like ADOdb
    > > (http://adodb.sourceforge.net/).

    > Interesting. Every PHP app I've ever seen uses the native functions,
    > but I haven't looked at many fancy ones.

    Yeah, same here, I've always just used the Oracle or MySQL native
    functionality, and wouldn't call myself unexperienced! I've just never
    had the need for a database abstraction layer (it's always been
    clear-cut what database I will use, and stick with).

    > > There is no PHP standard templating system. PHP itself is a

    template
    > > framework!

    > I'm not sure what the distinction is supposed to be?

    PHP4 has it's own templating system (allowing repeatable blocks etc)
    things like Nuke are more advanced, like a CMS. I prefer the more basic
    functionality that I can control better myself, rather than having to
    work to a spec enforced by third-party software.

    And the ADOdb page says that to use it with MySQL, you have to install
    the mysql-python (MySQLdb) module, so doesn't really help here, as we
    haven't even got that far!

    Simon John, Aug 27, 2004

  2. Simon John

    JZ Guest

    Dnia 27 Aug 2004 10:56:13 -0700, Simon John napisa³(a):

    > And the ADOdb page says that to use it with MySQL, you have to install
    > the mysql-python (MySQLdb) module, so doesn't really help here, as we
    > haven't even got that far!

    But what's the real problem? Everyone knows MySQLdb is the main MySQL
    module for Python...

    --
    JZ

    JZ, Aug 27, 2004