Re: MySQLdb compare lower

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 13, 2012.

  1. On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:00:48 +1100, Cameron Simpson <>

    > On 12Dec2012 02:03, Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:
    > | According to the old "MySQL Language Reference"
    > | """
    > | By default, string comparisons are not case sensitive and will use the
    > | current character set (ISO-8859-1 Latin1 by default, which also works
    > | excellently for English).
    > | """
    >
    > I'm flabbergasted. [... consults the internets ...] It is still the case
    > today:-( Ouch.

    I just checked... The book I referenced was the blue&white published
    by the late MySQL AB -- and the book claims to cover up to v5.0.1... I
    thought it was just the end of the 4.x branch (like the old brown
    O'Reilly/MySQL AB book was middle era of 4.x)
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 13, 2012