Re: MySQLdb compare lower

Discussion in 'Python' started by Cameron Simpson, Dec 14, 2012.

  1. On 13Dec2012 18:39, Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:
    | On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:00:48 +1100, Cameron Simpson <>
    | declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:
    | > On 12Dec2012 02:03, Dennis Lee Bieber <> wrote:
    | > | According to the old "MySQL Language Reference"
    | > | """
    | > | By default, string comparisons are not case sensitive and will use the
    | > | current character set (ISO-8859-1 Latin1 by default, which also works
    | > | excellently for English).
    | > | """
    | >
    | > I'm flabbergasted. [... consults the internets ...] It is still the case
    | > today:-( Ouch.
    | >
    | I just checked... The book I referenced was the blue&white published
    | by the late MySQL AB -- and the book claims to cover up to v5.0.1... I
    | thought it was just the end of the 4.x branch (like the old brown
    | O'Reilly/MySQL AB book was middle era of 4.x)

    My checking was for MySQL 5.5. Still case insensitive.
    --
    Cameron Simpson <>

    'Soup: This is the one that Kawasaki sent out pictures, that looks so beautiful.
    Yanagawa: Yes, everybody says it's beautiful - but many problems!
    'Soup: But you are not part of the design team, you're just a test rider.
    Yanagawa: Yes. I just complain.
    - _Akira Yanagawa Sounds Off_ @ www.amasuperbike.com
    Cameron Simpson, Dec 14, 2012