Re: MySQLdb compare lower

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 14, 2012.

  1. On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:16:54 +1100, Chris Angelico <>

    > Yeah, it's one of the things that tripped me up when I did a
    > MySQL->PostgreSQL conversion earlier this year. The code was assuming
    > case insensitivity, and began failing on PG. Fortunately the simple
    > change of LIKE to ILIKE solved that.
    >
    > I'd MUCH rather be explicit about wanting case insensitivity. I wonder
    > who would go insane first if I ran an app using Wine under Linux in a
    > directory that's mounted via cifs from a Windows or OS/2 box... (And
    > yes, I have that setup, ready to go. Only there's an extra level of
    > indirection - I'd run it in an sshfs mount that points to my proxy
    > box. Extra safety, keeps messy networking away from my real boxes.)

    I suspect it is a 50/50 proposition. Having case-insensitive
    compares is probably easier for the simpler uses of MySQL (the many web
    servers configured with MySQL, provided as a convenience for untrained
    customers)... They don't have to tell users (on web page input forms)
    that search terms are case sensitive, and they don't have to come up
    with some code for a means of "logical" casing of input (for example,
    searching for a title, where it is common for words like "of", "a",
    "and" to be lowercase, but everything else is capitalized).

    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 14, 2012