Re: MySQLdb insert HTML code error

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dennis Lee Bieber, Dec 11, 2012.

  1. On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 01:04:44 +0100, Anatoli Hristov <>

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm facing an issue inserting an html code into the DB, it comes out
    > with a syntax error but I face it only when I have html code. Could
    > help me escape the error somehow ?
    >
    > Here is my code
    >
    > def InsertSpecsDB(product_id, spec, lang, name):
    > db = MySQLdb.connect("localhost","getit","opencart")
    > cursor = db.cursor()
    > sql = ("INSERT INTO product_description (product_id, language_id,
    > name, description) VALUES ('%s','%s','%s','%s')")

    First thing -- DON'T put quotes around the %s place-holders... The
    whole purpose of using the parameterized .execute() is to let the
    database adapter properly escape the parameters before putting them into
    the SQL (since MySQL didn't have prepared statements before v5, it was
    producing full SQL statements for each insert, even with .executemany()
    )
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/