Re: Nagios

Discussion in 'Python' started by Adam Skutt, Jan 1, 2011.

  1. Adam Skutt

    Adam Skutt Guest

    On Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:00:06 AM UTC-5, Robert H wrote:

    > Right, just because you say it paints me in a negative light. Look at
    > every language out there and look within the groups. Everyone is trying
    > to revinvent the wheel to (in their view) make it better.

    "Everyone" is doing nothing of the sort, hence why Tcl "irks" you. Or are you so forgetful that you can't even remember what you said a few days ago?

    > Your argument is sad to me.

    At least I've made an argument, whereas you've done nothing of the sort. Just because you take wheel reinvention == good as a tautology doesn't mean everyone else does. Again, what point is there in attempting to win a non-existent popularity contest?

    Adam

    Adam Skutt, Jan 1, 2011

  2. Adam Skutt

    Robert Guest

    On 2011-01-01 10:34:46 -0500, Adam Skutt said:

    > On Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:00:06 AM UTC-5, Robert H wrote:
    >>
    >> Right, just because you say it paints me in a negative light. Look at
    >> every language out there and look within the groups. Everyone is trying
    >> to revinvent the wheel to (in their view) make it better.

    > "Everyone" is doing nothing of the sort, hence why Tcl "irks" you. Or
    > are you so forgetful that you can't even remember what you said a few
    > days ago?

    Really? How many templating systems does Python have? More than one?
    Why is that? How many web frameworks does Perl have? More than one? Why
    is that?

    Why *was* Nagios forked and re-written in Python?

    There are too many examples to count.

    >> Your argument is sad to me.

    > At least I've made an argument, whereas you've done nothing of the
    > sort. Just because you take wheel reinvention == good as a tautology
    > doesn't mean everyone else does. Again, what point is there in
    > attempting to win a non-existent popularity contest?
    >
    > Adam

    Just gave you a bunch. You have totally missed the whole point of the
    original argument. Nice job. Done with you now.

    --
    Robert

    Robert, Jan 1, 2011

  3. Adam Skutt

    Robert Guest

    On 2011-01-01 10:34:46 -0500, Adam Skutt said:

    > On Saturday, January 1, 2011 10:00:06 AM UTC-5, Robert H wrote:
    >>
    >> Right, just because you say it paints me in a negative light. Look at
    >> every language out there and look within the groups. Everyone is trying
    >> to revinvent the wheel to (in their view) make it better.

    > "Everyone" is doing nothing of the sort, hence why Tcl "irks" you. Or
    > are you so forgetful that you can't even remember what you said a few
    > days ago?
    >
    >> Your argument is sad to me.

    > At least I've made an argument, whereas you've done nothing of the
    > sort. Just because you take wheel reinvention == good as a tautology
    > doesn't mean everyone else does. Again, what point is there in
    > attempting to win a non-existent popularity contest?
    >
    > Adam

    I want to apologize for my part. We just aren't going to see the same
    side of this.

    --
    Robert

    Robert, Jan 1, 2011
  4. Adam Skutt

    Adam Skutt Guest

    On Jan 1, 6:21 pm, Robert <> wrote:

    > Really? How many templating systems does Python have? More than one?
    > Why is that? How many web frameworks does Perl have? More than one? Why
    > is that?
    >
    > Why *was* Nagios forked and re-written in Python?
    >
    > There are too many examples to count.

    You're missing the point: you've yet to provide any sort of argument
    whatsoever. It's not automatically true that rewriting Nagios in Tcl
    would gain the Tcl community more exposure, nor is it automatically
    true that more exposure is a good or desirable thing.

    You first have to show how rewriting Nagios in Tcl would gain them
    more exposure. Then you have to show that the exposure would be a
    good thing. Until you've done both, you're arguing with very
    fundamental and conventional engineering wisdom; and you have not
    actually presented an argument just tautologies.

    Neither will be easy to prove, by and by large, most people don't give
    a shit what language their applications are written in and rightly so.

    > Just gave you a bunch.

    No, you've given me examples of wheel reinvention. Just because the
    people reinventing the wheel thought it was a good thing doesn't
    actually make it so. You personally have to present the case as to
    why it is a good thing.

    > I want to apologize for my part. We just aren't going to see the same
    > side of this.

    You can apologize, but I don't accept it. You want to actually
    apologize? Admit you were wrong and retract, or act like an adult and
    present an actual argument instead of wasting time.

    Adam

    Adam Skutt, Jan 1, 2011