Re: Need a quick look

Discussion in 'HTML' started by jfaerber172@gmail.com, Jan 21, 2014.

  1. Guest

    On Friday, January 17, 2014 2:48:13 PM UTC+1, j wrote:
    > I tossed this together last night and it could stand a quick look for
    > appearance and such:
    >
    > http://adoptakollel.info/shull/69
    >
    > This is a demo of one of many mini sites with a user administered mini
    > admin. It'll be shown around later today.
    >
    > I'm not a designer, so I took a number of short cuts to that end with
    > CSS. The main content has an alpha transparency background-color and css
    > rounded corners. It looks OK to me in IE8 which lacks support for those.
    >
    > The footer has a text shadow to lift it off the background.
    >
    > Text is done with an @font-face.
    >
    > I think it is "OK" for a programmer. I wanted it to have a touch of
    > refinement, not something that is in my wheelhouse!
    >
    > Opinions?
    >
    > Later...
    >
    > Jeff

    if i didn't get the point of "mini site manager" pls point me to the right place in the discussion - but this test on the right hand side
    is covered by the pic in the beginning and then more text is coming
    with the 2nd slide pic and the 3rd pics brings all the text and
    then the problem is solved: 1st, 2nd + 3rd pic don't disturb the text anymore

    LOL - why you do that? try that you can read the text in a proper way
    right from the first moment the page has been loaded.

    But I like your layout with the css and all.
    maybe a bit dark and poor and only little decorating ideas
    http://html.lovedieu.com/background_image_css_animated.html
    haha - now you catched me -

    , Jan 21, 2014

  2. j Guest

    On 1/21/2014 11:03 AM, wrote:
    > On Friday, January 17, 2014 2:48:13 PM UTC+1, j wrote:
    >> I tossed this together last night and it could stand a quick look for
    >> appearance and such:
    >>
    >> http://adoptakollel.info/shull/69
    >>
    >> This is a demo of one of many mini sites with a user administered mini
    >> admin. It'll be shown around later today.
    >>
    >> I'm not a designer, so I took a number of short cuts to that end with
    >> CSS. The main content has an alpha transparency background-color and css
    >> rounded corners. It looks OK to me in IE8 which lacks support for those.
    >>
    >> The footer has a text shadow to lift it off the background.
    >>
    >> Text is done with an @font-face.
    >>
    >> I think it is "OK" for a programmer. I wanted it to have a touch of
    >> refinement, not something that is in my wheelhouse!
    >>
    >> Opinions?
    >>
    >> Later...
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > if i didn't get the point of "mini site manager" pls point me to the right place in the discussion - but this test on the right hand side
    > is covered by the pic in the beginning and then more text is coming
    > with the 2nd slide pic and the 3rd pics brings all the text and
    > then the problem is solved: 1st, 2nd + 3rd pic don't disturb the text anymore
    >
    > LOL - why you do that? try that you can read the text in a proper way
    > right from the first moment the page has been loaded.

    Slideshows need a set amount of space. If you set it for too much, then
    you will always have too much.

    Since I don't know what the images will be like the code sets the height
    to the highest image, when it gets to it.

    I'll change this all later as this is just a placeholder slideshow, when
    I see how it is being used. I'm aware of the issue and I don't care
    about it now. I'd prefer a CSS3 slideshow, but IE8 (not sure about IE9)

    > But I like your layout with the css and all.
    > maybe a bit dark and poor and only little decorating ideas

    You have to suit the site to the client. I want these pages to look more
    like an award of merit for the Shul. And if takes a moment to read that
    is fine, none of this is for public consumption.
    > http://html.lovedieu.com/background_image_css_animated.html
    > haha - now you catched me -

    I like CSS transitions, useful for many things including slideshows, but
    IE8 is the showstopper.

    Jeff

    j, Jan 21, 2014

    On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:09:58 PM UTC+1, j wrote:
    > >> I tossed this together last night and it could stand a quick look for
    > >> appearance and such:
    > >> http://adoptakollel.info/shull/69

    > >> I'm not a designer, so I took a number of short cuts to that end with
    > >> CSS. The main content has an alpha transparency background-color and css
    > >> rounded corners. It looks OK to me in IE8 which lacks support for those.

    > >> The footer has a text shadow to lift it off the background.
    > >> Text is done with an @font-face.
    > >> I think it is "OK" for a programmer. I wanted it to have a touch of
    > >> refinement, not something that is in my wheelhouse!
    > >> Opinions?

    > Slideshows need a set amount of space. If you set it for too much, then
    > you will always have too much.
    > Since I don't know what the images will be like the code sets the height
    > to the highest image, when it gets to it.
    >
    > I'll change this all later as this is just a placeholder slideshow, when
    > I see how it is being used. I'm aware of the issue and I don't care
    > about it now. I'd prefer a CSS3 slideshow, but IE8 (not sure about IE9)
    >
    > You have to suit the site to the client. I want these pages to look more
    > like an award of merit for the Shul. And if takes a moment to read that
    > is fine, none of this is for public consumption.

    > I like CSS transitions, useful for many things including slideshows, but
    > IE8 is the showstopper.
    >
    > Jeff

    wow - i googled some CSS transitions - looks great
    but some of the editors - they cost some money I think
    ms expression encoder can do some stuff (lost the url)
    lightshow coder twitter.com/lokesh he did an example
    http://codepen.io/lokesh/full/uEiFq
    expert stuff - you don't come very far - credit card - credit card - hihi

    , Jan 21, 2014
  4. j Guest

    On 1/21/2014 4:55 PM, wrote:

    >> Slideshows need a set amount of space. If you set it for too much, then
    >> you will always have too much.
    >> Since I don't know what the images will be like the code sets the height
    >> to the highest image, when it gets to it.
    >>
    >> I'll change this all later as this is just a placeholder slideshow, when
    >> I see how it is being used. I'm aware of the issue and I don't care
    >> about it now. I'd prefer a CSS3 slideshow, but IE8 (not sure about IE9)
    >>
    >> You have to suit the site to the client. I want these pages to look more
    >> like an award of merit for the Shul. And if takes a moment to read that
    >> is fine, none of this is for public consumption.

    >> I like CSS transitions, useful for many things including slideshows, but
    >> IE8 is the showstopper.
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > wow - i googled some CSS transitions - looks great
    > but some of the editors - they cost some money I think

    No money needed. There is a learning curve, but it is just that.

    I wrote a replacement for a Ken Burns type Effect that was originally
    written in Flash that I converted to CSS3:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

    The CSS3 transitions were better/easier/more flexible, but of course
    didn't work in what was then the most popular browser, IE8.

    I hate Flash, but until IE8, and maybe IE9 dies I'm stuck with writing
    Flash code for IE and CSS3/HTML5 for iPhone/Android.

    Jeff

    j, Jan 23, 2014

    On Thursday, January 23, 2014 4:26:05 AM UTC+1, j wrote:
    > > wow - i googled some CSS transitions - looks great
    > > but some of the editors - they cost some money I think

    > No money needed. There is a learning curve, but it is just that.
    >
    > I wrote a replacement for a Ken Burns type Effect that was originally
    > written in Flash that I converted to CSS3:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

    panning and zooming - once i used ms movie maker with this effects to
    make a short youtube vid with a scanned pink panther comic. deleted it
    Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (ICE)
    also refers to the deep zoom composer
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd409068.aspx
    http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/
    found it during some looks at ms photosynth
    you should even get some grafic programs which
    create an animated gif zooming and panning an area - or?

    > The CSS3 transitions were better/easier/more flexible, but of course
    > didn't work in what was then the most popular browser, IE8.

    you wrote them for the w3c? and only ie8 didn't implement your efforts?
    you can't use your css3 tricks like a personal @font on your webpage?
    wow- nice to meet you! how do you do?
    but i don't know anything - it pulls me to the #gym - i can't sit long
    time infront of a boring computer - it depends what i do
    play around with sounds - http://www.beatlab.com/matrices/138632
    bahhhhh! i can not go to school in the evening - it's not my life mate - sorry
    best wishes to ya all!

    > I hate Flash, but until IE8, and maybe IE9 dies I'm stuck with writing
    > Flash code for IE and CSS3/HTML5 for iPhone/Android.
    >
    > Jeff

    i have some linux course in february - i will see - i think svg
    or other thing is free with linux - dunno - but guess it's above my abilities.

    acutally i use a slow internet connection.
    it is much better to use a slow internet connection
    because then you see you pages like other people see them
    who have *only* a slow internet connection.
    I have a samsung SGH-C270 mobile phone - that's it
    i don't need an iphone or smartphone
    it's only a Mobile Browser 6.2.3.3.c.1.101
    by Openwave Systems, Inc.

    I can read Google News, I can use Google,
    before they updated the page of our resident
    telephone book it was easy to search for any number
    now it's a bit tricky with their page update -
    they send more bytes - too much for my phone
    i can save only 384KB images or sounds

    - but I don#t need more - can't cope with touch screens
    and I never saw that phone again in a shop with a browser
    you still get it for 25 euro but without browser

    i think brucie used a 56k modem - lol

    - no really, i don't take drugs

    , Jan 23, 2014

    On Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:24:46 PM UTC+1, wrote:

    > I have a samsung SGH-C270 mobile phone - that's it
    > i don't need an iphone or smartphone
    > it's only a Mobile Browser 6.2.3.3.c.1.101
    > by Openwave Systems, Inc.
    >
    > I can read Google News, I can use Google,
    > before they updated the page of our resident
    > telephone book it was easy to search for any number
    > now it's a bit tricky with their page update -
    >
    > they send more bytes - too much for my phone
    > i can save only 384KB images or sounds

    before I had a nokia 6020 -
    i could even read my Gmails!! haha
    now with my samsung it's not working -
    the login doesn't pass some security gateway

    , Jan 23, 2014