Re: Need to cache personalization data -- not sure which object to use

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rein Petersen, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Hi Matt,

    Although this might be considered a matter of preference, I'd advise you to
    store "per user" information in Session. The Cache object is application
    scope and does not have dependencies to current user sessions (as does the
    Session object). Data islands are just xml embedded in an html document.
    Viewstate is webform session state control for asp.net interfaces. Asp.net
    uses a cookie to store session data in the client so that each client can be
    uniquely identified and associated to session data stored on the server for
    that specific client.

    The session object is ideal for per user data because it can keep track of
    users that are connected such that a disconnected user's data will be
    dropped after the session expiration time. This will save your web server's
    memory.

    You can enjoy use of the global.asax session_onload to make the call to the
    db to retrieve the specific user's favorites (or use a handler that inherits
    the IRequiresSessionState interface to store the data in session).

    Rein

    Rein Petersen, Jun 30, 2003

  2. Rein,

    Thanks a million. I like the idea of using the quick-hitting
    superclass table and fetching the data as XML with XSLT. That method
    seems more reliable since it has fewer "moving parts", and I get the
    data back in a ready-to-render format.

    Thanks again.

    Matt

    Matt Anderson, Jul 6, 2003