Re: Network license control for a Java application

Discussion in 'Java' started by Jeffrey H. Coffield, May 21, 2012.

  1. On 05/21/2012 02:08 AM, Qu0ll wrote:
    > I have been tasked with providing some form of network license control
    > for a Java application. The app would be stored on a network drive and
    > run from a client machine. The basic idea is that it will be able to
    > work out how many times it is being run concurrently and prevent the
    > N+1th user from running the software where N is the number of concurrent
    > licenses the customer has purchased.

    My first idea would be to have the application open a connection to a
    "license server" that would only accept N connections. With some sort of
    keep-alive packet you could time out systems that crashed. (I have seen
    windows systems crash and leave TCP/IP connections open).

    Jeff Coffield
    www.digitalsynergyinc.com
    Jeffrey H. Coffield, May 21, 2012