Re: New module name (Eclipse::PHPMe)

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ivan Shmakov, Apr 3, 2012.

  1. Ivan Shmakov

    Ivan Shmakov Guest

    [Cross-posting to news:comp.lang.perl.misc, for
    news:comp.lang.perl.modules has somewhat low activity these
    days.]

    > Hi all! I wrote a Perl utility to turn an ordinary directory into an
    > Eclipse PHP project. I'm new to CPAN and Perl, so I have few
    > questions:

    > - Is CPAN the right place for it? It's only a script (referenced in
    > EXE_FILES in Makefile.PL). I intend to use this script as I'm always
    > importing different PHP projects in Eclipse and it can be handy

    > - I've looked for the Eclipse namespace in CPAN, searching for
    > Eclipse with the filter set to 'Module', and found nothing. Is
    > Eclipse::pHPMe a good name?

    There's the App:: namespace prefix for applications (and
    scripts):

    --cut: https://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_namingmodules --
    App

    You can distribute applications as Perl distributions. Typically,
    those sorts of distributions go under the App namespace, like
    App::Ack, App::Cpan, and App::prove. The namespace implies that its
    a ready-to-use program rather than a module.
    --cut: https://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_namingmodules --

    There seem to be a plenty of Perl applications distributed this
    way. Consider, e. g.:

    http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/ack-1.96/
    http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/App-Addex-0.023/

    [...]

    --
    FSF associate member #7257
    Ivan Shmakov, Apr 3, 2012

  2. Ivan Shmakov

    kinow Guest

    On Apr 3, 2:27 am, Ivan Shmakov <> wrote:

    >         [Cross-posting to news:comp.lang.perl.misc, for
    >         news:comp.lang.perl.modules has somewhat low activity these
    >         days.]
    >
    >  > Hi all!  I wrote a Perl utility to turn an ordinary directory intoan
    >  > Eclipse PHP project. I'm new to CPAN and Perl, so I have few
    >  > questions:
    >
    >  > - Is CPAN the right place for it?  It's only a script (referenced in
    >  > EXE_FILES in Makefile.PL).  I intend to use this script as I'm always
    >  > importing different PHP projects in Eclipse and it can be handy
    >
    >  > - I've looked for the Eclipse namespace in CPAN, searching for
    >  > Eclipse with the filter set to 'Module', and found nothing. Is
    >  > Eclipse::pHPMe a good name?
    >
    >         There's the App:: namespace prefix for applications (and
    >         scripts):
    >
    > --cut:https://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_namingmodules--
    > App
    >
    >     You can distribute applications as Perl distributions. Typically,
    >     those sorts of distributions go under the App namespace, like
    >     App::Ack, App::Cpan, and App::prove.  The namespace implies that its
    >     a ready-to-use program rather than a module.
    > --cut:https://pause.perl.org/pause/query?ACTION=pause_namingmodules--
    >
    >         There seem to be a plenty of Perl applications distributed this
    >         way.  Consider, e. g.:
    >
    > http://search.cpan.org/~petdance/ack-1.96/http://search.cpan.org/~rjbs/App-Addex-0.023/
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > --
    > FSF associate member #7257

    Hi Ivan!

    Thanks for the feedback.

    App seems to be the right place for this application. However, I think
    App::pHPMe would not be the right name for it. Maybe
    App::Eclipse::pHPMe, or App::EclipsePHPMe? What do you think?

    By the way, do I need to talk with someone else about using the App
    namespace prefix?

    Much appreciated!

    Bruno
    kinow, Apr 6, 2012

  3. Ivan Shmakov

    kinow Guest

    Hi Ben!

    Thanks for the explanation, you were very clear :)

    I'll the PHP::pHPMe as the module name for now, but when submitting to
    Pause I will take a look at to check if the name is
    fine too.

    Thank you very very much.

    All the best,
    Bruno