Re: New to C++, which IDE?

Discussion in 'C++' started by Ioannis Vranos, Apr 9, 2008.

  1. Pat wrote:
    > I am going to need to develop some C++ modules for use in another
    > application (commercial FEA code produced by Ansoft). I think the
    > programming needs for this are pretty basic, and so was thinking one of
    > the free C++ IDEs would probably do. The three I'm considering are:
    >
    > 1. Visual Studio C++ Express

    I suggest the above. It comes from a big company and it completely
    supports ISO C++98 (ISO/IEC 14882:1998) and ISO C95 (ISO/IEC 9899:1995)
    standards.

    > 2. Bloodshed Dev-C++

    MINGW compiler is broken regarding long double support.

    > 3. Code::Blocks

    I suppose you will use MINGW with this too.

    > Any opinions on which of these would be best for a newbie (i.e. easiest
    > to use)? I'll be running this on an HP Workstation (dual Opteron 280s)
    > running Windows XP Pro x64.
    >
    > Along the same lines, since I'm new to C++ (but not programming) I was
    > thinking of picking up a copy of "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata.
    > It's gotten pretty good reviews on Amazon, and looks like it would be a
    > good reference for beginners. Any other suggestions though are welcomed.

    "Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig, Barbara Moo has a very good
    reputation for a newcomer book.

    Also check http://www.accu.org at the Book reviews section.

    > Thanks for any feedback on these. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Pat

    Ioannis (John)

    Ioannis Vranos, Apr 9, 2008

  2. On 2008-04-09 18:04, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    > Pat wrote:
    >> I am going to need to develop some C++ modules for use in another
    >> application (commercial FEA code produced by Ansoft). I think the
    >> programming needs for this are pretty basic, and so was thinking one of
    >> the free C++ IDEs would probably do. The three I'm considering are:
    >>
    >> 1. Visual Studio C++ Express

    > I suggest the above. It comes from a big company and it completely
    > supports ISO C++98 (ISO/IEC 14882:1998) and ISO C95 (ISO/IEC 9899:1995)
    > standards.

    No. While the compiler is pretty standard conformant it does not support
    at least one feature in C++98 (export templates).

    --
    Erik Wikström

    Erik Wikström, Apr 9, 2008

  3. Erik Wikström wrote:
    > On 2008-04-09 18:04, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
    >> Pat wrote:
    >>> I am going to need to develop some C++ modules for use in another
    >>> application (commercial FEA code produced by Ansoft). I think the
    >>> programming needs for this are pretty basic, and so was thinking one of
    >>> the free C++ IDEs would probably do. The three I'm considering are:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Visual Studio C++ Express

    >> I suggest the above. It comes from a big company and it completely
    >> supports ISO C++98 (ISO/IEC 14882:1998) and ISO C95 (ISO/IEC 9899:1995)
    >> standards.

    > No. While the compiler is pretty standard conformant it does not support
    > at least one feature in C++98 (export templates).

    Yes, you are right, it supports C++98 except export templates. MINGW/GCC
    also doesn't support them.

    Ioannis Vranos, Apr 9, 2008
  4. Ioannis Vranos

    Jerry Coffin Guest

    In article <ftj4du$1cn4$>,
    says...
    > Erik Wikström wrote:
    > > On 2008-04-09 18:04, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

    [ ... ]

    > >> I suggest the above. It comes from a big company and it completely
    > >> supports ISO C++98 (ISO/IEC 14882:1998) and ISO C95 (ISO/IEC 9899:1995)
    > >> standards.

    > > No. While the compiler is pretty standard conformant it does not support
    > > at least one feature in C++98 (export templates).

    > Yes, you are right, it supports C++98 except export templates. MINGW/GCC
    > also doesn't support them.

    It's missing a number of other features as well, such as exception
    specifications (it parses but ignores them).

    --
    Later,
    Jerry.

    Jerry Coffin, Apr 12, 2008