Re: Newbie/Amateur help

Discussion in 'C++' started by Greg P., Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Greg P.

    Greg P. Guest

    "Acacia" <> wrote in message
    | I'm planning to try and make a really simple, text based Naughts and
    Crosses
    | (tic tac toe for you Americans) game. I'm 14 and learning some real simple
    | C++ out of a book - stuff like overloading operators, functions, for loops
    | (I'm onto OOP Classes at the mo). And I may need some help. I'm planning
    it
    | out - but I just wondered if someone could help me if I got stuck at some
    | point? (just a friendly warning ;) ) Any suggestions?

    That would be an excellent exercise for you. Make sure you are understanding
    all the concepts being presented in the book (and doing all the example
    exercises =P). I remember reading (" Jamsa's C/C++ Programmer's Bible"):
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1884133258/102-8829904-9641754
    my first book on C++ and, deciding after half way through, to begin writing
    a text-based Tetris clone...man did I over-exaggerate my skills at that
    point...it was never finished (well now there are ones for SDL and stuff at
    sf.net that I worked on).

    What book are you reading. You mention that you are "reading real simple
    stuff" in the book, you scare me by saying "simple" as Schildt (an author of
    C/C++ books) makes his text simple to follow, although lacks verbosity in
    explanations.
    Greg P., Aug 25, 2003

  2. Greg P.

    Greg P. Guest

    Sorry, I was hasty in sending my post...please look below...

    "Greg P." <> wrote in message
    | That would be an excellent exercise for you. Make sure you are
    understanding
    | all the concepts being presented in the book (and doing all the example
    | exercises =P). I remember reading (" Jamsa's C/C++ Programmer's Bible"):
    | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1884133258/102-8829904-9641754

    I do NOT recommend reading this book to learn C++(or anything else much
    either), I was only offering the link as an example.

    | my first book on C++ and, deciding after half way through, to begin
    writing
    | a text-based Tetris clone...man did I over-exaggerate my skills at that
    | point...it was never finished (well now there are ones for SDL and stuff
    at
    | sf.net that I worked on).
    |
    | What book are you reading. You mention that you are "reading real simple
    | stuff" in the book, you scare me by saying "simple" as Schildt (an author
    of
    | C/C++ books) makes his text simple to follow, although lacks verbosity in
    | explanations.

    I wanted to recommend a couple books:

    The popular Deitel and Deitel series of programming books are usually used
    in university/college programming courses, and are thus excellent reads for
    at-home learning. C++ How To Program is in its 4th edition, but any older
    editions are perfectly fine (and probably cheaper to buy):
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-8829904-9641754?v=glance&s=books

    Though I've heard some negate my opinions about Jesse Liberty, I believe him
    to be an excellent author for those wanting to learn C++ in quick-time. His
    "Teach Yourself C++ In 21 Days" is a book that I have recommended to many
    friends of mine to get started on programming.
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/102-8829904-9641754?v=glance&s=books

    Once you feel that you have the basic concepts down, you may want the actual
    C++ bible: Bjarne Stroustrup is the original implementer (read: creator) of
    C++ and his book is the holy text on this: "The C++ Programming Language":
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1848594/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/102-8829904-9641754
    However, his book is quite hard to digest fully if you are not yet ready to
    handle it.

    You will be using a lot of the Standard Library like the STL(containers,
    iterators, algorithms) are you progress through your book (if it's a good
    book). The bible on this is "The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and
    Reference":
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...1848833/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-8829904-9641754

    If you are unsure as to the quality of the book you are reading, go to The
    Associated of C and C++ Users website (www.accu.org) and check your book's
    reviews.
    Greg P., Aug 25, 2003

  3. Greg P.

    Acacia Guest

    > What book are you reading. You mention that you are "reading real simple
    > stuff" in the book, you scare me by saying "simple" as Schildt (an author

    of
    > C/C++ books) makes his text simple to follow, although lacks verbosity in
    > explanations.

    I'm reading 'A complete idiots guide to C++' (Paul Snaith) - which sounds
    far too simple but I am finding it reasonably, and satisfingly challenging.
    Acacia, Aug 26, 2003
  4. Greg P.

    Bunny Guest

    "Acacia" <> wrote in message
    | I'm reading 'A complete idiots guide to C++' (Paul Snaith) - which sounds
    | far too simple but I am finding it reasonably, and satisfingly
    challenging.

    I've heard some people say that your book is not a good beginner's book, but
    I have not read it so I can not agree or disagree. As long as it lightly
    covers everything, it is fine. I suggest reading it two times through though
    just to make sure you've absorbed everything, and then move on to one of the
    books I mentioned (the more advanced ones).

    I tried reading a "Complete Idiot's Guide for Linux" and found it too smug,
    and then just trained myself from trial and error, and a hell of a lot of
    man page referencing...of course I like things the hard way too =(
    Bunny, Aug 26, 2003