Re: Newbie CSS Positioning Question/Direction

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Spartanicus, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Spartanicus

    Spartanicus Guest

    alt.html.critique is for posting finished pages(s) and requesting
    comments on the quality. Your type of query does not belong here, cross
    posted and follow up set to alt.html.

    "gonebye" <> wrote:

    > I've learned basics of styling, and am trying to comprehend positioning.

    Stop right there, positioning is something that should be investigated
    when you are very experienced with the rest of css and site authoring in
    general. It's often seen as a method to position each element exactly
    where you want them. The reality is that uninformed usage of positioning
    causes massive problems. There are very few good reasons to resort to
    absolute positioning for creating a layout, if the only goal is to
    create a layout then abs positioning is unlikely to be the best tool to
    use.

    > Lastly, I removed the absolute positioning, but I'm at a loss on how to
    >get two boxes on the same line: http://wholives.com/temp/d.html

    The proper tool to use is a css table, alas IE doesn't support them. The
    most common method to get around this shortcoming in IE is to use
    floats. Unfortunately floats are fundamentally the wrong tool to use for
    this purpose, but to get around IE's limitations they can be used. The
    main things to remember are that browsers are riddled with float bugs,
    floats are partially removed from the flow, and that the float rules are
    ridiculously complex.

    For your example you should be able to float the content box to the
    right, set a left margin on it to make room for the menu box. If you
    want to protect proper browsers from the inherent drawbacks that result
    from using floats you should consider creating the layout with a css
    table, and then only feed the float hack to IE.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Jan 25, 2005