Re: Newbie, HTML calling XSLT

Discussion in 'XML' started by dingbat@codesmiths.com, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Clive wrote:

    > I am new to XML, XSLT and know little HTML - so this may be a very
    > naive question.

    (sorry for the thread creep that crept in and didn't answer your
    question)

    It's one of those awkward questions that is undefined. The W3C spec is
    clear on most of XSLT and so the tools work and work well and
    consistently as far as they're defined. However there are large areas
    that were simply never defined (nor did they need to be) and these are
    still vague and platform dependent.

    What an XSLT transform engine _does_ is clear. _How_ you call one and
    tell it to do things is not. Nor should it be, as it could depend a lot
    on how this is implemented (is this a piece of code called on a server,
    or is it a stylesheet attached to a document?)

    You should look at the docs on whatever transform engine you're using.
    Some have more support for parameters than others.

    In particular, the more capable ones server-side will have support for
    (quite fast) as a separate operation. This way the same stylesheet can
    be kept loaded and re-used quickly. This will tend to encourage the use
    of parameters as inputs through a specific API (interface) when you're
    calling it from your code.

    > For an exercise, I would like to write a simple HTML page that calls
    > XSLT and passes it parameters.

    In the worst case (maybe client-side browser code), XSLT is just an XML
    document. Load it up, treat it as a DOM document, modify the parameter
    values (JavaScript and MSXML.DOMDocument) as if they were simply data
    and then use the results as your stylesheet.

    , Aug 23, 2005