Re: Newbie problem with Python pandas

Discussion in 'Python' started by Miki Tebeka, Jan 6, 2013.

  1. Miki Tebeka

    Miki Tebeka Guest

    On Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:57:17 AM UTC-8, RueTheDay wrote:
    > I am getting the following error when running on Python 2.7 on Ubuntu
    > 12.04:
    > >>>>>>

    > AttributeError: 'Series' object has no attribute 'str'

    I would *guess* that you have an older version of pandas on your Linux machine.
    Try "print(pd.__version__)" to see which version you have.

    Also, trying asking over at https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/pydata which is more dedicated to pandas.

    Miki Tebeka, Jan 6, 2013

  2. Miki Tebeka

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    RueTheDay <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 08:05:59 -0800, Miki Tebeka wrote:
    >
    > > On Sunday, January 6, 2013 5:57:17 AM UTC-8, RueTheDay wrote:
    > >> I am getting the following error when running on Python 2.7 on Ubuntu
    > >> 12.04:
    > >> >>>>>>

    > >> AttributeError: 'Series' object has no attribute 'str'

    > > I would *guess* that you have an older version of pandas on your Linux
    > > machine.
    > > Try "print(pd.__version__)" to see which version you have.
    > >
    > > Also, trying asking over at
    > > https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/pydata which is more
    > > dedicated to pandas.

    > Thank you! That was it. I had 0.7 installed (the latest in the Ubuntu
    > repository). I downloaded and manually installed 0.10 and now it's
    > working. Coincidentally, this also fixed a problem I was having with
    > running a matplotlib plot function against a pandas Data Frame (worked
    > with some chart types but not others).
    >
    > I'm starting to understand why people rely on easy_install and pip.
    > Thanks again.

    Yeah, Ubuntu is a bit of a mess when it comes to pandas and the things
    it depends on. Apt gets you numpy 1.4.1, which is really old. Pandas
    won't even install on top of it.

    I've got pandas (and numpy, and scipy, and matplotlib) running on a
    Ubuntu 12.04 box. I installed everything with pip. My problem at this
    point, however, is I want to replicate that setup in EMR (Amazon's
    Elastic Map-Reduce). In theory, I could just run "pip install numpy" in
    my mrjob.conf bootstrap, but it's a really long install process,
    building a lot of stuff from source. Not the kind of thing you want to
    put in a bootstrap for an ephemeral instance.

    Does anybody know where I can find a debian package for numpy 1.6?

    Roy Smith, Jan 6, 2013

  3. Miki Tebeka

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    RueTheDay <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:45:34 -0500, Roy Smith wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > RueTheDay <> wrote:

    > >> Thank you! That was it. I had 0.7 installed (the latest in the Ubuntu
    > >> repository). I downloaded and manually installed 0.10 and now it's
    > >> working. Coincidentally, this also fixed a problem I was having with
    > >> running a matplotlib plot function against a pandas Data Frame (worked
    > >> with some chart types but not others).
    > >>
    > >> I'm starting to understand why people rely on easy_install and pip.
    > >> Thanks again.

    > > Yeah, Ubuntu is a bit of a mess when it comes to pandas and the things
    > > it depends on. Apt gets you numpy 1.4.1, which is really old. Pandas
    > > won't even install on top of it.
    > >
    > > I've got pandas (and numpy, and scipy, and matplotlib) running on a
    > > Ubuntu 12.04 box. I installed everything with pip. My problem at this
    > > point, however, is I want to replicate that setup in EMR (Amazon's
    > > Elastic Map-Reduce). In theory, I could just run "pip install numpy" in
    > > my mrjob.conf bootstrap, but it's a really long install process,
    > > building a lot of stuff from source. Not the kind of thing you want to
    > > put in a bootstrap for an ephemeral instance.
    > >
    > > Does anybody know where I can find a debian package for numpy 1.6?

    > Go here:
    >
    > http://neuro.debian.net/index.html#how-to-use-this-repository
    >
    > and add one their repositories to your sources.
    >
    > Then you can do use apt-get to install ALL the latest packages on your
    > Ubuntu box - numpy, scipy, pandas, matplotlib, statsmodels, etc.
    >
    > I wish I found this a few days ago.

    Cool, thanks! Really glad you're a few days ahead of me :)

    Roy Smith, Jan 6, 2013