Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Wendy S, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. Wendy S

    Wendy S Guest

    "Tor Iver Wilhelmsen" <> wrote
    > (Mike) writes:

    > > The reason I ask is that, in Perl if you import a separate module or
    > > library, you can read those external files to see what all options
    > > are available to you. If I can't read java.util.*, then how can I
    > > figure out how to code for it?

    > You read it from the classpath or bootclasspath.

    Mike, are you looking for the API docs so you know what other classes and
    methods are available?
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/

    --
    Wendy in Chandler, AZ

    Wendy S, Aug 20, 2003

  2. (Mike) writes:

    > In Java, when I type something like:
    > import java.util.Date;
    >
    > where, on the hard drive, is java.util.*? Is it a file I can manually
    > read, or is it just a subroutine inside of java.exe?

    When you say

    import java.util.Date;

    you are not reading a file. You are telling the compiler to treat the
    type reference "Date" as if it was "java.util.Date".

    When the compiler later resolves java.util.date it will find it in the
    JDK's jre/lib/rt.jar file.

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Aug 20, 2003